LegacyGT.com

Need Paint Help!!

Rockets GT

So being the inpatient idiot that I am, while using a heat gun to de badge my trunk, I heated the paint up and warped about 2 sq inches of it.

My brother, a mechanic, said that I could get a body shop to wet sand it and it would look a ton better.

Anybody ever done this or have any suggestions??

BTW, unless you are looking for it, you probably won't see it...but because I know it's there, it's driving me crazy!!!

FYI: for most applications you don't really need to heat the badges up to get them off, its only tape really holding them on. Dental floss works great!

As for the paint....hmmm....OCDetails will probably have a good suggestion....

I was just talking to somebody about this earlier today. Generally you can get results with a hair dryer on debadging and removing pinstriping and all that. Heat guns can sometimes heat the paint up too much and then you end up getting a smear or even a finger print in your paint. Heat guns are generally safe to use, but accidents can happen.

Wetsanding would help if its just the clear coat that is messed up. If it did more damage than that then its something I would probably sand down and then bust out the air brush to fix properly. Take it to a couple of auto body shops and get their opinions. This is really the kind of damage you need to see in order to properly diagnose a remedy for.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks OC!!

After my accident, I just set the gun on its lowest setting and it took a bit more elbow grease, but the results were much better.

I know that one would need to see it to make an accurate estimation, but can you at least give me a ball park estimate at what I should look to pay?? I am an uber no0b when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Thanks again.

The price really depends on the extent of the damge. It could be $50 bucks or it could be $300 bucks. I had some damage on a car that I considered to be super minor and every paint shop I took it too said it would be $380. I ended up fixing it myself for free. :) I know how to airbrush and wetsand though, so your situation might be different.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 5 weeks later...

Archived