LegacyGT.com

rear wheel lockup

I'm a proud new owner of a 2005 legacy gt. I recently had the left rear wheel stop rotating as I was driving. Had it towed to the local subie dealer, they replaced the trans under warrenty, I pick my car up from the dealer and on the way home same thing happens. I need serious help

I'm a proud new owner of a 2005 legacy gt. I recently had the left rear wheel stop rotating as I was driving. Had it towed to the local subie dealer, they replaced the trans under warrenty, I pick my car up from the dealer and on the way home same thing happens. I need serious help

Frozen rear caliper?????????????

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Parking brake shoes fell apart and jammed inside the rotor.

I never thought of that one. Has it happened???????

Please tell me it's not true, although I can see how idiot mechs would miss it:mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I see it alot since cars have been using "drum in hat" parking brakes with rear disk systems. After a few years the lining seperates from the shoe from corrosion and they spin around and lock up the wheel.

yessir ive seen quite a few explorers with this problem.

Today I was coming off the highway to get gas and I braked a little harder at the stop light. About 100ft the the light there was a loud crash/chatter from the rear end. Only lasted for 2 seconds. Never happened again.My thoughts are there was only one gallon of gas in the tank and nothing inside the wagon (2005 GT 22K miles).. and it was slightly downhill. My belief it was the reduction of weight on the rear wheels combined with the harder braking. This combination resulted in the "anti-skid" activating on the rear wheels.Does this make any sense?

just be sure to use your hand brake for as much drifting and what not .. to get it to heat up and dry off.. weird how cars that are beaten seam to last longer !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Today I was coming off the highway to get gas and I braked a little harder at the stop light. About 100ft the the light there was a loud crash/chatter from the rear end. Only lasted for 2 seconds. Never happened again.My thoughts are there was only one gallon of gas in the tank and nothing inside the wagon (2005 GT 22K miles).. and it was slightly downhill. My belief it was the reduction of weight on the rear wheels combined with the harder braking. This combination resulted in the "anti-skid" activating on the rear wheels.Does this make any sense?

No:mad:

"NO" is an incomplete answer. When it comes to auto topics, I'm not a beginner. :confused:

Thirty years ago my Rabbit took the Midwest Division championship (Chicago), and another Division championship in my Pantera at Lake Geneva speedway (2) years later. E. Paul Dickenson was running in my class with his 911 and he had taken three SCCA Midwest Divisional championship prior. He had a week long autocrossing school in North Carolina that I went to a couple years later in a BMW 530i sedan. He used to take fastest-time-of-day on his school course in a STOCK Pontiac surplus cop car, beating a full field of Corvettes from the local Corvette Club.

My book was the first published on autocrossing. "How to win at Slalom & Autocross" in 1975. The techiques and electronic timing today are far more advanced, I haven't run in 15 years and I miss it, but I'm too old and my coordination is shot. Anyhow, life goes on... Have fun while you're doing it because it won't last. :)

"NO" is an incomplete answer. When it comes to auto topics, I'm not a beginner. :confused:

Thirty years ago my Rabbit took the Midwest Division championship (Chicago), and another Division championship in my Pantera at Lake Geneva speedway (2) years later. E. Paul Dickenson was running in my class with his 911 and he had taken three SCCA Midwest Divisional championship prior. He had a week long autocrossing school in North Carolina that I went to a couple years later in a BMW 530i sedan. He used to take fastest-time-of-day on his school course in a STOCK Pontiac surplus cop car, beating a full field of Corvettes from the local Corvette Club.

My book was the first published on autocrossing. "How to win at Slalom & Autocross" in 1975. The techiques and electronic timing today are far more advanced, I haven't run in 15 years and I miss it, but I'm too old and my coordination is shot. Anyhow, life goes on... Have fun while you're doing it because it won't last. :)

Ok, the 2005 has 4 channel abs and ebd. You did not mention any brake feedback and the 2005 LGT has notoriously slow ABS pulsation. The light weight in the rear should have been taken care of by the ebd.

That would seen to indicate something else is the problem.

And ummm, I started racing 47 years ago (:eek:) have won multiple races in SCCA, been an auto-cross champion in classes multiple times and have posted multiple FTDs at auto-crosses and ice races.

As for

I haven't run in 15 years and I miss it, but I'm too old and my coordination is shot

A.J Foyt ran PROFESSIONAL races until he was sixty.

Me, I can collect social security, I only have one eye, and am racing 100 and 125 cc Karts at local autox's. Coordination is simply seat time coupled with knowing your limitations.

Driving in competition is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

You are not to old;):) Go out have fun, and show those young whipper snappers:lol:

And plug for your book. I actually read portions of it at a Borders or Barnes and Noble a couple of years ago. You should consider reissue, it was that good.:)

Archived