LegacyGT.com

Failed Whiteline KTA124 Lateral LInks

sheppo9

Had a set of the Whiteline KTA124 arms installed for between 14 - 16 months, loved the adjustment and ability to get a wheel alignment right, and recommended them to friends and on forums.

2 days ago the car was up on a hoist getting checked over and the mechanic points in amazement at the left hand, front of the rear Lateral Link (which adjusts Toe), this is what we found;

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/bobbyjimmy/Arm1.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/bobbyjimmy/Arm2.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/bobbyjimmy/Arm3.jpg

I have another picture of it still on the car (it's on a different computer, and will upload it later today or tonight), as it couldn't be changed - back to the stock arm, as I don't carry a spare Lateral Link in the car...

The car has never been ran up a gutter or been involved in a rear ender.

I sent the (still to be uploaded here) picture of the arm still on the car to Whiteline - I admit it's not the best or clearest picture, I was using a phone, but you could still see where the arm had separated.

Whiteline got back to me saying (quote from email);

Hi,

As these are looking older and you said you bought them well over a year ago they are out of warranty.

I can also see allot of other performance bits on the car so I gather it gets some kind of hard work !.

We helped out with free bushes but we are unable to send out free arms as we do not have separate pieces they are made in kit form.

The photo does not show the crack maybe you can get it welded or it is a matter of buying new arms.

They look older as they where covered in grease/road grime as it's a daily driver (100km a day), and just like their sway bar bushes, the Lateral Link bushes squeak too.

The car has Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline ALK, Whiteline R.C.K (gee what a great thing they are, 4 sets I needed and they flogged out the knuckles on both sides...), Tein Flex coilovers, and these Lateral Links.

The "free bushes" he's talking about where to replace the Lateral Link bushes as no amount of grease would shut them up.

The car has never seen a track in it's life and rarely gets "beaten on", it is afterall an Outback.

And as I told him, the hardest work it gets is driving up a driveway or putting the dog in the back.

After pulling the arm off the car, I do not feel confident in getting it welded up.

They want to gouge me $524 (plus shipping!!) for a new set of arms.

Summing up, if you have these make sure you check them - and if you have a R.C.K, check them too - and if you have a A.L.K on a newer STi, check them too - if you've got Whiteline Sway Bar Links, check them too.

C/N's - Lateral Link broke, Whiteline say GTFO.

UPDATE - After having a chat with Andy Nolan at Whiteline, he's sending out a new kit and i'll be sending back the old kit for them to find out what happened.

Archived