LegacyGT.com

My wagon takes on a Ford Cobra (autocross battle)

Don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but the driver is the biggest factor in solo.

A stock Golf could beat a turbo Porsche if the Porsche driver wasn't very good. A car and it's setup are the least important factor. Many times I've seen a stock CRX take "fastest time in a stock class", especially at a tight go-cart layout, beating Mustangs, WRX's, Lotus Europa, and many, many other cars.

Thirty years ago my Rabbit took the Midwest Division championship (Chicago), and another Division championship in my Pantera at Lake Geneva speedway (2) years later. E. Paul Dickenson was running in my class with his 911 and he had taken three SCCA Midwest Divisional championship prior. He had a week long autocrossing school in North Carolina that I went to a couple years later in a BMW 530i sedan. He used to take fastest-time-of-day on his school course in a STOCK Pontiac sedan, beating a full field of Corvettes.

My book was the first published on autocrossing. "How to win at Slalom & Autocross" in 1975. The techiques and electronic timing today are far more advanced, I haven't run in 15 years and I miss it, but I'm too old and my coordination is shot. Anyhow, life goes on... Have fun while you're doing it because it won't last. :)

Your right , not a real Cobra. Just got the looks . Still he has that thing modded quite a bit and must have quite a bit more than 315 HP.

BRP8000 - no kidding I ran a modified Rabbit in autocross years ago myself. That was my original dragon slayer. Eventually got an early Gen M5 and did HPDE's . The Leggy has been the most fun.

• 1 month later...
Did another autocross this weekend . Unfortunately the Leggy was out of commision with the clutch slipping after the last event (can't complain, got over 100K from the stocker). Drove my brother's WRX wagon which used to be mine. I was def midpack and missed my Leggies lowend and handling balance (way better tweaked). Funny thing was Dennis the owner of the Mustang came over fishing for info thinking the WRX was the Leggy. I told him it's the Indian not the arrow and his face turned red. He later told me he hates to lose but is welcoming me back next year and he is getting R compounds . I say bring it on.

Archived