LegacyGT.com

Lighter Has Gone To The Dead Zone

Mario500

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5

While filling my tires with air, using a my lighter socket to plug in the pump, the socket stopped working. I've plugged in my GPS and phone charger to confirm and it's definitely dead. I've changed EVERY fuse under the hood and dash (just in case they were labeled incorrectly) and found no blown fuses. The inside of the socket looks fine and has no burn marks. I really don't want to remove the dash to take out the lighter. Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done? Is there an inline fuse I can't see or reach? Can the socket be removed for the front? I really need this socket to work. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Finally I had some free time to try to get the lighter out. The trick was getting the cupholder out first, then it was easy. I'm very pleased I didn't have to remove the entire dash. After removing the lighter I tested the wires and found the socket was getting juice. On the back of the socket there is one tiny wire that connects two metal plates. It would appear the wire has been burned it half. Maybe the tire pump was too much for it. Once I pick up a new socket it should work fine.

Thanks for your input.

Archived