LegacyGT.com

Grinding type noise when engaging 1st gear?

Going into first when I am trying to engage the gear I hear a grinding or metalic type noise if I don't give it enough gas. I only noticed this recently has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal?

I think my explanation is off. It is not so much a grinding sound but a raspy or metallic type sound almost like a disel eninge sounds. And it makes this sound when I don't give it enough gas upon letting out the clutch.

unless you are talking about downshifting, this is not normal at all. it's only normal in downshifting if you are going too fast and trying to force it. Then it's not really normal either, it's just not good for it

but take yours in anyways

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

you try pushing in the pedal next to the long one before pushing the lever?

it really helped reduce the grinding noise on mine...

I usually push in the petal 2 to the left of the long one before I push on the lever...:D

If your not giving the car enough gas this engine shudders quite violently and makes some wierd sounds if you catch it at the last second.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

If your not giving the car enough gas this engine shudders quite violently and makes some wierd sounds if you catch it at the last second.

+1. When I'm driving with people I always give it a little more gas then necessary to get started. That shudder is pretty rough.

• 2 weeks later...

well took it to the dealer. No problems just not giving it enough gas. I was just trying to engage it just at the right spot to get a completely smooth and quiet shift but you got to give it gas to first get it going. I was just trying to be too perfect.:lol:

And I don't know what that comment was about on the pressing the pedal to the left of the long one???

Anyway all it fine.

I can certainly drive that is not the problem. The problem is me trying to be a perfectionist and get the perfect shift with not too much reving and not too little. I've been driving sticks since I got my license in 95 so that is not the problem. Just trying to find the perfect shift which is kind of stupid.:lol:

Archived