LegacyGT.com

Carbon Fiber dressup thingies

Guest *Jedimaster*

Guest *Jedimaster*

So I've been wanting to have my pillars on the wagon done in cf for a while and thought about the chrome trim on the hatch. I went to http://www.stickercity.com and got a roll of cf sticker- it's listed as lasting 3-5 years outside and I'll bet it will judging by seeing it up close.

I laid the sticker out and smoothed it over the pillars- I overlapped the edges to make it look less like a sticker and peeled the rubber molding back so I could tuck the extra in. I was surprised at how scratched the plastic piece was after only one winter.

Here's a few shots of the finished product:

I also did the chrome on the rear hatch- I initially started taking the thing off, then realized how easy it would be to do with it on. Here's the finished product:

I really like the sides- it adds just a touch of cf look and looks great in person. I'm not so sure on the rear- maybe because the car is silver, I don't know. But it's only a sticker and I'll take it off if I decide I don't like it.

I resisted the urge to cf every part of the car with what I had left over too :lol:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its good to see they are still in business. I bought a roll from them sometime ago and used it on the sideskirts on my Integra. It was a great looking effect and it lasted forever. Its been on for 2 years now and it still looks as good as the day I put it on. You'll be happy with the durability.

Now take your car to a dyno and see how much HP those stickers just gave you. :lol: Sticka Powah!

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm curious: how did you stretch that onto the rockers? I had thought about using a hairdryer for parts that are curved on the dash.

When I went around the corners I ended up just making a cut and then using heat to make the seam line up with the patern. It worked out ok, but I wouldn't want to do it if the work was going to be too terribly intricate. Here is the album of what I did. It was a fairly easy project on large parts like that. I would imagine getting it to conform around smaller pieces like dash vents or something like that would be harder. The hairdryer is a good way to get it to melt and take shape. I would probably suggest a heat gun if you have one. They get hotter faster and work better for this kind of thing.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I did the same with on my wrx, but with real carbon fiber (pretty thin though), I think it was made my Hayame (you can find it in ebay too, about $20 for a sheet, they come in different sizes with decent thin double-sided tape attached to it)....

it looked good but after a while it started to fade...then I realize it wasn't uv protected...:D

(I love cf anything!!!)

In Taiwan now...:spin:

So how much weight did you take off by going with carbon fiber instead of the stock material?

Looks good. But now you have to shave your ass.

Guest *Jedimaster*

Looks good. But now you have to shave your ass.

My wife told me that the other day.

I have been thinking about doing the exact same thing for a while now, ever since I saw something like it on a 350z. As long as it wont fade and peel and stuff I think im gonna do that, how you guys think it will look on a black sedan, and after i get some tints?

Guest *Jedimaster*

Shavin' da kitty, of course :D

Oh, and Nsaglibene, this stuff won't peel or crack- it's pretty good quality stuff. BTW, how many tints do you plan to get? :lol:

• 4 months later...
I had wrapped the sideskirts of my Integra with this same type carbon fiber vinyl. It didn't show any wear after 2 years. I'm sure it is still perfect, but I sold it so I can't really check right now. :) If it will wear perfectly for two years on sideskirts then I'm sure it will last just fine where jedi put it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest *Jedimaster*
I had wrapped the sideskirts of my Integra with this same type carbon fiber vinyl. It didn't show any wear after 2 years. I'm sure it is still perfect, but I sold it so I can't really check right now. :) If it will wear perfectly for two years on sideskirts then I'm sure it will last just fine where jedi put it.

I was thinking about that when I put it on- I seem to remember you posting about that before- I had a few spots where Ihad a hard time getitng the stuff to lay flat around the curves- but I remembered you talking about stretching it, etc. This summer has been pretty neat for me- I've never had an luck with vinyl/tint/ painting things and I've done all but the tint with no problems. :cool:

Archived