LegacyGT.com

bird droppings

Decided to wash and wax the legacy today then proceeded to do my dads car. I have noticed a number of spots that was from bird poop. I had to scrape the poop of the windshield with a razor. I have tried bug and tar remover and no luck :(.

Any suggestions?

So you can't get the poop off, or after you did, it left a discolored spot? If you're having trouble getting it off, I would just keep on soaking it with a mixture of soap and water, it should eventually come off.

<begin Bird Bomb rant>

Bird shit is incredibly acidic. Birds don't have kidneys to filter their waste, therefore they also don't have bladders. Keeping that waste inside them would be deadly for them. So when nature calls a bird, it literally answers on the spot. The white part of the bird bomb is urine and the dark spots are feces. Gross, eh? Well, it gets worse. When this stuff lands on your car, I'm surprised we don't hear sizzling. Especially on cars painted after 2004. Paint standards aren't what they used to be, unfortunately...

The acids in the bird bomb will start to eat your paint almost immediately. Depending on the type of diet the bird is on, some droppings are more benign than others. However, some are so bad that I don't think there is any way to protect your paint from them. I keep a towel and some quick detailer in all of my cars and even in the side cover of my motorcycle. The second I see bird shit on my paint, I clean it off. Even being that vigilant hasn't saved me from the random bird bomb etching on my paint.

If you are dealing with spots on the paint where the bird shit was so old it required a razor to get it off the glass, then you are likely looking at permanent damage to the paint. I've seen bird damage bad enough to warrant an insurance claim in the past. You can take the car to a detail shop and see if they are able to tell how deep the damage is, but it is very likely you have ruined the paint in that area.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived