LegacyGT.com

Coilovers that are adjustable for a higher than stock ride height?

Dacaveman

I am looking to purchase a set of full coilovers for my 2008 legacy GT.

I want to make the coils ride higher than stock ride height for the winter months so that I can make it through deep snow with out any issues but then slam it in the summer. I know the slamming part won't be hard. But I am not sure of which coilover set up will allow me to raise the height of the car from stock settings.

Thanks

Almost all coilovers are height adjustable, some just have different methods of height adjustment. Most of the newer coilovers are adjustable on the perch, and not through the springs, so that the height can be set independently from the spring pre-load.

What is your budget?

Not sure what if any brands allow you to go taller than stock. Spring position on the body has no bearing on height if the body is not taller or the upper spring perch adjustable.

Most coil overs actually dont even get to stock height. They come up just short of stock.

I was looking for a similar setup for my Forester XT- wanted to stay close to stock height, but get coilover performance.

I called Myles at Racecomp Engineering, and he said he was able to get a 10" spring to use on the RCE Tarmac II- from what I've researched, it's a benchmark coilover and a step above the 'budget' coilovers. You definitely pay for it, though, at ~$2000 a set.

If you want to do this all just once, I'd say call Myles and see what kind of options you have. They have a Tarmac II setup for the GR STi, so he may recommend going off of that for a starting point, or maybe even the Tarmac I for the '05-'09 LGT.

Enduratech allows stock height +/- 25mm.

I still have a few sets left!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I was trying to stay around the $1200 range. I originally wanted to purchase the buddy club coils but for the winter but I tend to go over the passes quite a bit so clearance may become an issue with deep snow. Also I think it would look awesome to have a lifted legacy for the winter with my snow tires and rack. I will look into the RCE tarmac I see if I can scrape the cash up for them. My clutch just went out so that was a pretty penny so I am not sure if I want to invent around 2000 into a set of coils.

Thanks for all the input so far it is greatly appreciated.

what are the favored coilovers today (without spending 4k etc.) i mean are there any decent ones that won't click and pop for not a ton of cash? it seems for the most part that just drop springs are the best way to go if you don't have the budget to go all out.

are the enduratechs any good?

How much for a dual spring coilover??

I loved the enduratechs, and they are extremely popular in japan. The wrx crowd seems to like them as well.

For the price, i don't know of any coilover that gives you even close to the same value.

Enduratech is a division of the company that makes all of the OEM springs for Subaru (suspension, engine, etc.). They even make the STi Pink springs! It doesn't get any more reliable than that!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I've read comments on this forum about avoiding coilovers if you live in the snow belt as they might not hold up to the salt. I'm sure the reasoning has been explained in another post, but could someone please point me in the right direction?

I think my goals are similar to those of Dacaveman. I haven't tuned my LGT yet, it is a DD, but I would prefer to make suspension improvements before adding any significant amount of power. I have not yet installed a RSB since I don't want to sacrifice snow and ice handling. Would better dampers / coilovers would be a better option for better bad weather handling?

Archived