LegacyGT.com

Vibration when switching gears

Hey all,

First off I have a 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i automatic. I notice sometimes when switching gears. it's not any specific gear or at any speed but I don't know if it's an issue. It also doesn't happen every time and if I drive in manual mode the same issue never happens.

The vibration I get is like on the side of some highway have grooves so if you sway out of the lane it alerts you. example:

http://powrightbetweentheeyes.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/24/grooveroad.jpg

It lasts for about 3 seconds and last time I ever had this issue was with a Dodge Neon and it ended up being a bad transmission. I am hopefull it is not the same issue. Maybe my tires are too bald?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Apparently this is an issue with the adaptive transmission, you should try driving with a more smooth throttle input. I had this issue, dealer charged me $110 to relearn the tranny...whatever and told me nothing was wrong. To their credit after making the 50 mile drive it wasn't doing the chatter when shifting. So since then I have made a good effort to use a smoother throttle input and it has ceased to happen. Just in case you may want to check your fluid to make sure it isn't burnt.

edit: to burnout, when your car has done it you know exactly what he is talking about, its an auto thing not a manual tranny. Has something to do with the transmission expecting a higher rpm through the shift than what it gets causing a kind of shudder through the tranny like the gear isnt engaging or its slipping.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed reply but I was on vacation and just thought about it.

if it is my driving style I will try to change it. I can pretty much now predict when it is going to happen and I can ease off the gas a little and then it won't vibrate. I thought my transmission was going so I was a little worried but I am relieved now.

Thanks FLlegacy!

Same thing happens to me on my 2006 2.5i. I am all city driving, stop and go, so it happens very often. Only happens when Im not really stepping on the gas fully....basically just barely pressing down the pedal.

And yeah, I do also feel when its about to do it...maybe I'll just ease of the pedal as well.

Archived