LegacyGT.com

CA Emissions Visual Test Friendly locations?

bocalu99

I failed my smog test yesterday with my stage 2 '05 LGT. I only failed the visual part though. I have catless UP and hiflow catted DP, and CBE, The smog guy only told me that I need another cat, refused to elaborate, just gave me a few listings of shops that would fix it for me. Before I pay more wasted money just to have someone look at my car and evaluate it, I was wondering if

a) do u think he was talking about the second DP cat or the UP cat?

b) does anybody know of any smog testing places in the LA area that might be a bit ricer-friendly when it comes to the visual inspection?

c) Any possible solutions aside from buying/installing an OEM DP/UP or shooting myself in the face?

You never know which cats he was talking about. they have a computer/book which specifies the car has 3 cats. All you know is he did not count to three.

The hard way is to swap parts to OEM for the test then go back to stage2.

The (sometimes) less hard way is to find a shop to smog it for a couple Benjamins. But no one is going to post such a shop. Even if they/we/I know somewhere most likely you will not be told. Not before the owner ok's it. Fines in CA shut down businesses. Its no friggin joke.

So, either get very friendly with some local forum members who would put in a good word for you at their known shop. or, go back to stock for the test. Welcome to the smog nazi state of CA.

And this is why I kept all my OEM bits. Except my intercooler (it went boom anyhow).

I've been wanting someone to make a downpipe that looks like OEM for years.

Quality welds? Screw you!

Stainless? Hell no!

Shiny? **** you!

Give me shitty, ugly pot metal!

That said, word on the street is that you need an OEM DP to pass the sniffer in most cases. Most highflows just are not enough. You can do it without the UP though. Make sure you car is hot in any event. Which cat do you have?

The AWD sniffer is really easy though.

(If you find a good shop and post its name on the Internet, you are an asshole, BTW)

Word on the street is wrong. My car passed with NO cats. OP's car passed sniffer, just not visual. If tuned properly a stage 3 car is cleaner than OEM.

I know his passed. That is why i asked what DP he had. Not all cats are created equal.

I don't know why people post these threads asking for such "hookups". BAR agents check car forums you know, and if you think it's hard for them to trace who's who... LOL

(Source, BAR agent with forum printouts, and that was 7 years ago.)

"And that's all I have to say about that"

Anything shiny is a dead giveaway. They have mirrors and can see the uppipe fine. Damn book/computer tells them where to look anyway. Its almost dummy proof, lol.

I have OEM "catless" uppipe service going now. If someone want to swap from a catted to catless OEM uppipe, I got you covered. No downtime instock.

b) does anybody know of any smog testing places in the LA area that might be a bit ricer-friendly when it comes to the visual inspection?

I guess this may be your not so subtle way of asking for someone to PM you the name of a shop and someone but... Even IF I knew a shop that did stuff like that I would not call them out in PM because I would not want to get the shop shut down.

This is kinda like asking online - Hey man, you know any good drug dealers?

Big Thumbs Up! I highly recommend this!

Anything shiny is a dead giveaway. They have mirrors and can see the uppipe fine. Damn book/computer tells them where to look anyway. Its almost dummy proof, lol.

I have OEM "catless" uppipe service going now. If someone want to swap from a catted to catless OEM uppipe, I got you covered. No downtime instock.

Word on the street is wrong. My car passed with NO cats. OP's car passed sniffer, just not visual. If tuned properly a stage 3 car is cleaner than OEM.

So why wouldn't Subaru make it like that? I mean, they'd probably save a couple hundred $$ per care if they didn't need cats (if they're clean enough).. Or, they could make it ultra-clean and make it a PZEV car?

Archived