LegacyGT.com

Need some help finding a longblock locally

thefultonhow

• I Donated

I got off the freeway and noticed I was down on power. Turned out of the exit, drove a few feet, turned off the radio and I heard clunking. Then, the oil light started flickering on, then came on solid and the car stalled as I was coming to a stop on the shoulder. (This was all within about 50-100 feet.) I briefly started the car up, and it does start, but it won't idle too well. THe dipstick was unfortunately dry -- I hadn't checked it for around 2000 miles. I guess I learned my lesson on that one...

Long story short, I got it towed the remaining mile home and will pull the turbo and check compression. I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Anyone know anyone selling an EJ255 or EJ257 longblock in decent shape locally for a decent price?

• I Donated
Hmm, I've never done anything with engine internals, just swaps. What parts would I need to get that shortblock mated up to my EJ255 heads and manifold and all that junk? I am guessing at least the HGs and head bolts -- what else?

• I Donated
Okay, other people elsewhere on the forum are saying I need a longblock, that the heads are probably in crappy shape from oil starvation. I'll call the various shops, but does anyone know any individuals that might have something I could use?

Try Andrewtech:

240-683-1000

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• I Donated
Dropped the oil pan today and there are some pretty substantial shavings in it. They look sort of brass, so my guess is a bearing, but I think I officially need a new engine, because even if it's just a bearing, I don't have the know-how to replace it. I will call Mach V tomorrow, and if they don't have anything good I'll be driving over to IAG after work.

Dropped the oil pan today and there are some pretty substantial shavings in it. They look sort of brass, so my guess is a bearing, but I think I officially need a new engine, because even if it's just a bearing, I don't have the know-how to replace it. I will call Mach V tomorrow, and if they don't have anything good I'll be driving over to IAG after work.

Well if your engine is apart, you could pull off the cylinders and check the play with the conrods. if there is too much play, then you know if the bearings are gone. As far as the crank, try moving the flywheel around. If it moves around considerably, you may have spun bearings there.

But hey, you could just get a short block, and go with bigger bore pistons and cylinders and get some more power!!!

• I Donated
swap in the buick engine the frank guy is doing. Or go LS1 LGT

LOL, you're a riot. :lol: Anyway, I called Mach V, and the guy tried to sell me a built-block project since he had no longblock. I talked IAG down to $2000, since i don't need the intake manifold, and I'm going there after work tomorrow to pick up the EJ255 longblock they have.

Archived