LegacyGT.com

Road noise from wheels

It's my only option until I find a good indy shop! I've owned a couple of cars and never went to the dealer.

If you live near Seacoast/Exeter NH Scotty's Country Auto is excellent for Subaru. He used to be service manager and previously master tech for local dealer and knows Subaru(20+yrs experience).

If you live near Seacoast/Exeter NH Scotty's Country Auto is excellent for Subaru. He used to be service manager and previously master tech for local dealer and knows Subaru(20+yrs experience).

Wow I live right in Hampton! Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I'll give him a try!

I am having the same issue. A high pitched squeal from 20mph and up. I first thought it was the tires. New tires still there. Then I though it was the alignment. Still there. Now I was thinking it was the brakes but I doubt its the brakes because the sound is still there when I am braking. Is this common with a car that has 38k miles? I am pissed because doesn't our warranty end at 36k?

I am having the same issue. A high pitched squeal from 20mph and up. I first thought it was the tires. New tires still there. Then I though it was the alignment. Still there. Now I was thinking it was the brakes but I doubt its the brakes because the sound is still there when I am braking. Is this common with a car that has 38k miles? I am pissed because doesn't our warranty end at 36k?

this is different than the noise the OP reported. your problem is probably a wheel bearing...common problem on 05s, even low mile 05s

• 2 weeks later...

OP here returning with some news.....

Dealer said it wasn't the bearings, the noise got worse and finally replaced the RE92s. Still had plenty of tread, but had dry rot and wanted a better tire.

I placed the tires with the Continental Extreme DWS tires. Sound is still there, usually at 40-50mph. It's a driving me CRAZY! Sounds better all around with these new DWS tires, but there is still that loud howl/vibration through the pedal around those speeds.

I took it to my indy mechanic and when I drove him around of COURSE the noise totally disappears. Anyways this is a pain in the ass, and is ruining the enjoyment of my car.

Will try stealership again since they said to come back if the noise persists. If not, I will have my indy mechanic check out the car front and center.

Thanks for the update! They said it was my tires and I didn't believe them but I didn't want to buy new tires to prove them wrong. My sound is still there and I can feel the vibration when slowing down in the brake pedal as well. Sounds like we have identical problems! Hopefully someone can give us a suggestion or if I get it fixed by another dealership I'll let you know what they did.

I have this same issue, high pitched whine noise at various speeds. It is most apparent for me at the 35-50mph and 70-80mph speeds. I am positive it is not the wheels or tires as I have had 3 different sets of wheels/tires on this car and the noise is consistent. Maybe I will have the dealer check out the bearing and such, as I am still under warranty.

I had an identical problem; brought it to the dealer and they diagnosed a left-rear wheel bearing-slash-hub assembly, replaced it, and the noise is gone :)

For those tearing their hair out :spin: because it may not produce a constant humming noise (like most other wheel bearing failures), take heart: my symptoms were a rotational noise which intensified when turning right OR left, and it didn't sound like a wheel bearing at all...maybe I'm just not used to newer hub assembly failures.

I was reluctant to bring it to the dealer because I was a bit embarrassed that I couldn't diagnose it on my own, but it ended up working out. If you have a similar problem, take care of it now before your tires get all effed up.

Cheers :cool:

Thanks for the update! They said it was my tires and I didn't believe them but I didn't want to buy new tires to prove them wrong. My sound is still there and I can feel the vibration when slowing down in the brake pedal as well. Sounds like we have identical problems! Hopefully someone can give us a suggestion or if I get it fixed by another dealership I'll let you know what they did.

YES! Finally the noise is gone, completely. Subaru took another look at the car and replaced both front bearings, under warranty (thank goodness). I guess the first time they didn't catch it, but I knew something was wrong with my car.

Hope the other dealership you go to, properly diagnoses and fixes your problem.

Archived