LegacyGT.com

Passing a school bus

youknowit

true, comrade.

Its also necessary to think of QUANTITY. I like to stick with a 1:1 ratio of parts per peanut butter. Having more of one condiment than the other can ruin both cohesion factors and overall flavor factors. Its imperative that each bite contains equal amounts of both the butter of the peanut and the jelly of the grape

i actually prefer the jelly to be slightly more concentrated toward the center of the sandwich. this way the center section, where the bread is softest, is more moist. this technique provides a sharp contrast when the crust area is mostly devoid of jelly, and (IMHO) makes for a more intersting meal overall.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i actually prefer the jelly to be slightly more concentrated toward the center of the sandwich. this way the center section, where the bread is softest, is more moist. this technique provides a sharp contrast when the crust area is mostly devoid of jelly, and (IMHO) makes for a more intersting meal overall.

I prefer an even spread across all 4 corners of the bread. My problem with your technique is its hard to gauge the right amount of jelly before its TOO much. This can result in a soggy jelly side, where your fingers run the risk of becoming jellied, therefore having to wash your hands, yet again.

a soggy jelly side can be a problem for an inexperienced sandwich chef. there is, however, a very easy way to ensure that you don't fall victim to this mistake. you simply spread the jelly over the peanut butter covered bread slice (being careful of overrun), and only when you are fully prepared to devour your masterpeice do you complete it by placing the top slice on. this, like serving a perfect souffle, requires skill and timing, but is very rewarding once perfected.

In spreading the jelly OVER the peanut butter, not only are you ruining the aesthetics of it all, you run the risk of condiment contamination. Perchance, your first jelly run, you dont allow yourself a sufficient quantity for one reason or another. At this point youre required to dip your now peanut buttered AND jellied utensil BACK into the jar of jelly.

although it's not about aesthetics, the dark rounded area of jelly overlaying the smooth square formed by a perfectly peanut butter covered bread slice creates an intersting negative space. one that isn't visible once the sandwich is completed. this allows the sandwich to stand on it's own, without need for any additional plate dressing that is normally required to create a balanced looking entree.

condiment contamination is a worry of amateurs. i've found that straying from the norm and using a fork as my jelly utensil of choice allows me to break up the congealed jelly while still in the jar to a more preferred and easily spread consistency. this also allows it to be slowly "poured" out of the jar if one so desires. i, personally, use a combined pour/rake technique which is very accurate and keeps me safe from having to worry about over/under application.

the order of ingredient application is not the only important intracacy of a quality PBJ. it is also imperative that the peanut butter be at or near room temperature before starting your build. if chilled, it can be difficult to spread and even tear your bread, ruining the sandwich altogether.

+ 1000,truth

although it's not about aesthetics, the dark rounded area of jelly overlaying the smooth square formed by a perfectly peanut butter covered bread slice creates an intersting negative space. one that isn't visible once the sandwich is completed. this allows the sandwich to stand on it's own, without need for any additional plate dressing that is normally required to create a balanced looking entree.

condiment contamination is a worry of amateurs. i've found that straying from the norm and using a fork as my jelly utensil of choice allows me to break up the congealed jelly while still in the jar to a more preferred and easily spread consistency. this also allows it to be slowly "poured" out of the jar if one so desires. i, personally, use a combined pour/rake technique which is very accurate and keeps me safe from having to worry about over/under application.

So while we have varying techniques, the end result is always the same. a perfect PBJ.

what is your stance on various elements that can be added, i.e. fluff, banana. nutella or bacon?

Several years ago, while living in west Philadelphia, I learned of a great African American delicacy. It is called a "Grilled PBJ." The recipe has been closely gaurded by the black community for many years, but I will share it with you now.

The PBJ is first assembled in typical "white bread" fashion. Then butter or margarine are spread on either side of the completed sandwich. After this is done the entire sandwich is wrapped in foil and placed on the radiator for eight minutes (I have been told that a stove and skillet can also be used, though neither me nor Shauntel had payed our gas bills in many months). Enjoy

So while we have varying techniques, the end result is always the same. a perfect PBJ.

what is your stance on various elements that can be added, i.e. fluff, banana. nutella or bacon?

i've been recommended all sorts of add-ons, from bananas to pancake syrup. the furthest i will comfortably stray from the old standby is chunky peanut butter, which i do not prefer, but will use in a pinch. jams and jellies of flavors other than grape are also a possibility, but one that i feel isn't wise to attempt. i've never been as unfortunate as to find myself lacking grape jelly, but if by some tragedy it were to happen, i would surmise strawberry to be the safest substitute.

I think this pretty much sums up the whole moral of the thread for those that do not want to go back and read all the posts:

http://damesofdialogue.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/pbj-friends.jpg

Thanks are needed.

X

---

her chances of getting a PBJ are always good, given you have the right ingredients available.

I prefer the Skippy honey roast chunky peanut butter with Welches grape jelly. i put the peanut butter on first then the jelly. and I use multi grain bread. sometimes I cut it in half, triangle wise. And i always wash it down with a cold glass of 1% milk.

Hilarious!

Archived