LegacyGT.com

Help with Timing???

I'm new to this forum and new to Subarus I bought one a while back and the guy had told me he thought it may have been a slipped timing belt, being the reason it wouldn't start. I bought it thinking I would take a whack at it. I lined up the timing marks and hoping it wold be good. Still the same problem gets fuel, air, and spark, sputters a bit (trying to start but wont catch on. I did a compression test on it and this is what I got....

Piston 1 25 LBS

Piston 2 90 LBS

Piston 3 130 LBS

Piston 4 130 LBS

I opened took the heads off of cylinder 1 and 3 to see if it maybe had bent valves they looked fine.

My questions are What is the proper compression for all pistons is it 130LBS

and does anyone have a picture of the timing marks I can go by to see if I did it right?

If you line the marks up is there anyway you would have to flip them around 360 degrees or something like that? or if the marks are on will it just be lined up please let me know I am at a loss!!!!

wow, 1 is that low? being that 1 and 2 are both low ur bottom end needs work. id check the heads to. only thing right now that comes to mind is the piston rings.

my car has 150 on all 4 cyl on my 22t.

even with a bad rod bearing it was still pushing those numbers.

also what engine?

since u took the heads off already i cant give u some secret tips to find out whats wrong internally without taking the engine apart. btw, do u have an air compressor?

If the timing is severely off you can get all kind of wrong readings on the compression test. And if the engine is a non-interference engine that's no problem except for the fact that the timing is out the window and the sensor for the camshaft timing is lost too, which means that the ignition will give the sparks at a completely incorrect time.

I think that the OP is right that his timing is wrong until he's proven wrong.

If the wrong tab on the crankshaft pulley was used as a reference when the timing was done everything is off by several degrees on the crankshaft. And on the camshaft pulleys there shall be an alignment mark that shall match a notch in the belt cover. There may be an arrow on the pulley, but that's not to be used as a timing mark.

Also - if you have had the engine disassembled and the pulleys removed from the camshaft there is a theoretical risk that they either have been mixed up or mounted backwards. (OK, I'm not sure if it's possible or if it really matters.)

Take a look at this document: http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/engine/FtEngineOverhaulSp98.pdf - it may provide what you need.

And a quote from another source:

Installing the timing belt on 1990-93 Subaru Legacy engines is not without its potential pitfalls. Subaru has marked each sprocket with an alignment notch and in a different location, an arrow (Figure 1). Only the alignment notch should be used to time the engine. Using the arrow could result in severe engine

damage.

Before slipping the belt on, align the timing notch on each of the three (3) sprockets with the notch on the belt housing and the marks on the timing belt (Figure 2). Verify that the timing is correct by counting the teeth between the timing marks (Figure3). There should be 44 teeth between the right cylinder head camshaft sprocket and the crankshaft sprocket timing notch. There should be 40.5 teeth between the left cylinder head camshaft sprocket and the same crankshaft sprocket timing mark. Remember that when the engine is viewed from the front, the right side of the engine is on your left and vise versa.

453747.png

it is an EJ22 motor, It's in a 1990 Legacy but the motor supposedly was swapped so I'm not sure what year it it but I think its a non interference engine. I also don't think the motor had ever been taken apart. I appreciate the responses though and that guide that you had in the link doesn't show the marks I should be using. I didn't use the arrows though, I was hoping someone just had a picture of the marks with the timing belt cover off, also is it possible to flip the valves or the crankshaft 360 degrees the wrong way when your timing?

it is an EJ22 motor, It's in a 1990 Legacy but the motor supposedly was swapped so I'm not sure what year it it but I think its a non interference engine. I also don't think the motor had ever been taken apart. I appreciate the responses though and that guide that you had in the link doesn't show the marks I should be using. I didn't use the arrows though, I was hoping someone just had a picture of the marks with the timing belt cover off, also is it possible to flip the valves or the crankshaft 360 degrees the wrong way when your timing?

Everything is possible - you can always do something wrong.

What about this pic - does it contain what you need?

http://www.bedug.com/pics/img001.jpg

453747.png

Archived