LegacyGT.com

Rear wheeling bearing gone

My rear wheel bearing is gone and I'm out of the warranty period, even the extended one, so I'm SOL and it's coming outta my pocket.

The dealership quoted me $286+tax (cdn) for a new one. Obviously I don't want to pay that.

I found on rockauto.com the complete bearing and hub assembly for $90.

Now the questions that I got are:

-on the site it looks like its the bearing/hub together for$90 but then also has the hub for $110...why is the hub by itself more?

-the brand is Timken, are these any good?

-who mfg the oem/subaru ones?

Thanks

I don't know the answer to all your questions, but I DO know Timken is a very good bearing manufacturer. I work with them in my industry (Industrial Power Tranmission/Material Handling) quite a bit.

I put a set of Timken on my Outback, only about 1000 miles on it, but it seems ok.

I recommend doing your rear brakes while your at it.. ;) And get a can of PB Blaster and soak the bolts and the hub seam.

Oh, and don't forget to release your e-brake when removing the rotor, I forgot and it took me an extra 20min :)

Then that's all I really wanted/needed to know. The last thing I want to buy is something by Wagner or similar.

Thanks!!

I don't know the answer to all your questions, but I DO know Timken is a very good bearing manufacturer. I work with them in my industry (Industrial Power Tranmission/Material Handling) quite a bit.

This is the link to the part http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430733,parttype,1636

Part # HA590119

I just replaced my rear driver's side bearing on Sunday. As plasticbiker said, use PLENTY of PBBlaster. I still managed to break off the 6mm brake line bolt even with a generous amount of PBB.

A few tips:

-Be sure you have several lengths of ratchet extensions. Things are very awkward back there. If you don't have the right lengths of extensions, you may have to unbolt the suspension arms from the knuckle.

-If you don't already have one, I recommend investing in an axle puller (a heavy duty gear puller is also fine) to unseat the bearing assembly. Since you live up north, you can bet the bearing will be seized on the spindle. You may be able to rent one from your local auto parts store.

-Be sure to buy a new axle nut. It is locked in place by bending the collar, so you really shouldn't reuse this existing nut. It shouldn't cost you more than $5 at the dealer. They're cheaper online.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier this year my passenger side rear wheel bearing started knocking. Come to find out there was a recall on this from Subaru for the 2005 and part of 2006 Legacy models. They fixed it for free. I happened to stumble across the recall while parts guy was looking up the price and ended up making an appt to get it fixed instead of having to order the part.

I'd check out the recall. I have an '05 GT Wagon and it was covered.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Archived