LegacyGT.com

Towing Legacy GT Wagon vs. Sedan

New here and am currently contemplating a Legacy GT sedan. Talking with the dealer he mentioned that the LGT sedan does not have a tow rating but that the Outback and the Legacy GT wagon do. Has anyone put a hitch on their LGT sedan? and if so how much have you pulled?

I currently own and would like to pull two snowmobiles. My problem is that I think I prefer the sedan over the wagan. Any idea's? Is there a major difference between the sedan and the wagon hitch mounting points?

Hey thank you. My next question will be 5 speed or auto. It sounds like the stinky clutch issue may just force me into a auto......hmmmm

Just my 2 cents on the stinky clutch... I got my car 13 days ago and have promptly put 2200+ miles on and I have the 5 speed manual. While I got some quality stink the first few times I started on a hill, or engaged the clutch when still slowly rolling backwards during a 3 point turn, it has all but disappeared. I was stuck in a traffic jam on the Cross Bronx for 45 minutes the other day without a wiff. Today, I started on this really steep hill and intentionally gave it a little extra juice to see if it would stink, and I only got the faintest wiff. I am willing to bet there must have been some issues with early LGT's that Subaru has somehow resolved because it's not a big deal on my car. I wouldn't use this as a reason not to get the manual...Only get the auto if you really want an auto. Hope this was helpful. - Mike :cool:

p.s. My dad used to have this crappy 1988 Isuzu Trooper with a manual. That clutch stunk every time I got it stuck in the snow (basically everytime it snowed over 8 inches), when in deep sand on the beach, and when ever we backed our boat up our driveway. We sold the trooper with 125K+ on it with the original clutch that wasn't slipping. This makes me think that clutch stink does not necessarly equate to significant clutch trauma.

Guest turboman
New here and am currently contemplating a Legacy GT sedan. Talking with the dealer he mentioned that the LGT sedan does not have a tow rating but that the Outback and the Legacy GT wagon do. Has anyone put a hitch on their LGT sedan? and if so how much have you pulled?

I currently own and would like to pull two snowmobiles. My problem is that I think I prefer the sedan over the wagan. Any idea's? Is there a major difference between the sedan and the wagon hitch mounting points?

Something people don't often consider is the ease with which you can raise the tailgate to see where you're backing up when you hitch up. If you often go by yourself it's the only way to go. In a sedan you can't tell if the trailer coupling is 5' or 2' away or crash.

Had a Drawtite put on mine, mounts above the twin MagnaFlow mufflers w/double outlet tips. He did the wiring by tapping into the tail light wires. Some people will tell you a "converter" must be used, at about $40 extra. Untrue obviously. Get the shortest 1 1/4" insert you can find, with a 3" uplift bend because the GT cars are low. (Not an Outback) Some inserts are too long and the arm length reduces the strength. I tow a 800# ATV on an aluminum trailer for 1200# total.

I am willing to bet there must have been some issues with early LGT's that Subaru has somehow resolved because it's not a big deal on my car.

Maybe with some of them... my LGT was the first '05 sold at that dealer (last June) and I've never had 'stinky clutch' with the LGT. (Had it with the '04 STi and '02 WRX when they were very new, though.)

Turboman -- Do you have photos? I'd like to compare with the Hidden Hitch model. Thanks!

Something people don't often consider is the ease with which you can raise the tailgate to see where you're backing up when you hitch up. If you often go by yourself it's the only way to go. In a sedan you can't tell if the trailer coupling is 5' or 2' away or crash.

Had a Drawtite put on mine, mounts above the twin MagnaFlow mufflers w/double outlet tips. He did the wiring by tapping into the tail light wires. Some people will tell you a "converter" must be used, at about $40 extra. Untrue obviously. Get the shortest 1 1/4" insert you can find, with a 3" uplift bend because the GT cars are low. (Not an Outback) Some inserts are too long and the arm length reduces the strength. I tow a 800# ATV on an aluminum trailer for 1200# total.

WRT the stinky clutch, I've got 7500 miles on my car and it really hasn't been a problem. Yes I've noticed it a few times when I had to stop and start on a hill. But I certainly wouldn't call it a problem. Now if you frequently were stuck in stop-and-go traffic on steep hills it probably would bother you, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. (Just my opinion.) I'm very happy with the manual, glad I got it.

-Matt

Archived