LegacyGT.com

will a cobb stage 2 map work on a stage 1 car?

flinbmx

I just bought a cobb accessport v1 for a 2005 legacy gt 5MT. The only maps loaded on the accessport were stage 2 maps:

One map had EBBC

One map was stage 2 91 octane

Last one was TA stage 2

All I need is a stage 1 93 octane map. What will happen if I load the TA stage 2?

Don't play with fire or you will get burnt.

Try and update your AP and then buy a stage 1 93 octane map from a reputable tuner.

I just bought a cobb accessport v1 for a 2005 legacy gt 5MT. The only maps loaded on the accessport were stage 2 maps:

One map had EBBC

One map was stage 2 91 octane

Last one was TA stage 2

All I need is a stage 1 93 octane map. What will happen if I load the TA stage 2?

Seconded. Perhaps nothing bad will happen with stage 2, but there is a good chance it could. If you do flash any of those maps, you need to make sure you continuously log to ensure you are not knocking and not overboosting. Actually, you'll probably underboost and lose power. Regardless, it is better to be smart about it and get the tune that matches your car.

hey its your car. do with it as you want. would i? no. you got stock cats on, youll be pushing more boost, etc.. the line is long as the story i could give.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

if you have the APv1 with the loaded map of stage II 91 octane, and you have a perrin up pipe, and a perrin down pipe like you said. then you are stage II without the map. load the stage II 91 octane and you are officially stage II. although im not a 91 octane fan ( i run 93 octane ). i am currently stage II. Cobb AP v1 93 octane. unless i am missing something here....i would upload it. i assume you have a stock top mount intercooler? people still have those and some have them and dont have issues. others blow the tabs on them. but upload it, and you now have cruise control with no check light and no flashing cruise unless you have other problems.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• 2 weeks later...
Hardware Requirements: Otherwise stock vehicle with a STOCK INTAKE

SYSTEM ONLY, tested with a Cobb Tuning turbo-back exhaust system

with high-flow catalytic converter. An equivalent turbo-back exhaust

system could be used. If the turbo-back exhaust system relieves

back-pressure to an excessive point boost creep is possible. If a

lesser flowing turbo-back exhaust system is used then boost targets

may not be achievable. The addition of any other hardware may make

the vehicle perform poorly.

That does not say stock.

All you really need for stage two is a down pipe, catted or un-catted, or gut the stock one.

Probably too late for the OP, but the right thing to do would have been to simply download the correct Stage 1 map for your car from the Cobb website, upload it to the AP, and then install it on your car. Cobb offers all of their basic maps for free on their website. So it doesn't matter what maps came on the AP you bought, as you can simply delete them and download the correct ones for your car from Cobb. That would be safer than running a Stage 2 map on your stock car.

A custom tune from a reliable tuner is an even better way to go.

All you really need for stage two is a down pipe, catted or un-catted, or gut the stock one.

This is true, and Stage 2 is a happy place to be! And although the DP is the bare minimum requirement, you REALLY should replace the UP with a catless uppipe, as well.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I don't know about the potentially outdated or custom maps the OP is running, but from my own analysis of Cobb's maps:

The main difference between Cobb stage 1 and stage 2 is the boost control tuning and the timing. Stage 2 has a little more aggressive timing with a "flatter" curve, higher boost targets, and higher wastegate duty cycles. Fueling is pretty much the same. Cobb barely changed the target AFR tables from stock.

As long as there are no MAF scaling issues you're not going to blow your engine up just by putting Cobb's stage 2 map on a stage 1 car. You may have unpredictable boost though.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90122&stc=1&d=1284696773

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90123&stc=1&d=1284696773

(dynamic advance is unchanged from stock)

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90124&stc=1&d=1284696773

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90125&stc=1&d=1284696773

Cobb_Stage1vsStage2_fuel.thumb.jpg.66b58d435f1d2cf55b5d20f6df234d71.jpg

Cobb_Stage1vsStage2_ignition.thumb.jpg.a7dc1f553103c7a1d6f50b44bda8c640.jpg

Cobb_Stage1vsStage2_boost.jpg.09d3497a922ef21ce3a80e75c1477552.jpg

Cobb_Stage1vsStage2_wgdc.jpg.1f16ebe40a6bac33ca4a005c2cf75dce.jpg

On the search for a new DD...

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I sold my V2 AP a year ago with the intention of getting a custom tune. The closet tuner was 4 hours from my house so I waited until May to get a custom romraider tune. It lasted for about 3 days before the car started to run worse than before I took it the tuner. I don't have the time or money to go back to the tuner, so I ate the $250 tune cost. Then, I learned that I could buy a v1 AP to solve my problems. So I broke even on the cost after selling my V2 last year, blowing $250 on a custom tune and buying a V1 AP for $210.

All I need to do is by a computer connector cable so I can download the right maps from COBB. What cable should I buy?

You can't just download the maps from Cobb and flash them over with a Tactrix cable; they are proprietary maps that require an AP to use.

What you can do (and should do, IMO) is buy a Tactrix cable, and get a custom e-tune from a reputable tuner (I HIGHLY recommend 311logan311).

Edit- I just realized I could have misunderstood your post, but i'm not sure. If you have a null modem cable, you can download maps from Cobb's website and transfer them to your AP if the one you need isn't already on there. I think Cobb still sells those cables.

Archived