LegacyGT.com

1998 LegacyGT 2.5 engine making noise

roon

Hi guys, need some advise. My '98 started intermittantly ticking a couple weeks ago. My mechanic determined that it is probably an exhaust valve seat that has come loose from the head and is occasionally following the valve up and down. As you can imagine, I am way down on power.

I think it is time to put a new engine in it, or sell it. It is a 5 Speed manual. What is the best option for a replacement engine, a JDM or something else, perhaps? Don't want to dump a bunch of money in it, but if I can get it back on the road for a couple grand, I think it would be worth it.

You can probably find a set of used EJ25 heads on CL, ebay or the forums. I have seen them anywhere from 100-500 for a set. Or rebuild your old heads for a few hundred bucks.

JDM EJ25 run about 1000-1200 shipped to you. They have low miles also which is a plus. You can do the install yourself if you don't mind a little wiring. Or be like me and use the USDM intake mani and be set.

Probably 99% of us on here have the ticking sound and many have been told it is a characteristic of the boxer style engine. I took apart an EJ25 with this sound and there were no problems with the valves or piston slap.

If you have noticed power loss then your situation may be serious. I would rebuild if I were you though.

Archived