LegacyGT.com

Definition of Turboback

Nachowang

Here you go...

This is for the '05 and '06 in which there was a catalytic converter in the up pipe before the turbo. Starting with the 2007 Subaru removed this cat and went with an air pump system to help reduce cold start emissions.

The turbo back is, well, everything in the exhaust AFTER the turbo including the down pipe, mid pipe, Y pipe and mufflers as isfb has already pointed out.

Also, it is not entirely necessary to replace that all to run COBB's stage 2 maps. There are many folks who have simply gutted (using a crowbar or long screw driver) the first catalytic converter after the turbo and are running stage 2 maps. It's also commonly regarded as a good idea to either gut the up pipe cat (which is MUCH harder to destroy than the one in the DP) or replace the UP with one that is cat-less as there have been reports of the UP cat disintegrating and sending pieces into the turbo which is obviously a bad thing to have happen. I will point out though that COBB has never said you need to remove that cat to run their stage 1 or 2 maps.

Cheers!

115268751_LGTintakeandexhaustmap.jpg.2804e285c3426e596b44777379cf0e57.jpg

Here you go...

This is for the '05 and '06 in which there was a catalytic converter in the up pipe before the turbo. Starting with the 2007 Subaru removed this cat and went with an air pump system to help reduce cold start emissions.

The turbo back is, well, everything in the exhaust AFTER the turbo including the down pipe, mid pipe, Y pipe and mufflers as isfb has already pointed out.

Also, it is not entirely necessary to replace that all to run COBB's stage 2 maps. There are many folks who have simply gutted (using a crowbar or long screw driver) the first catalytic converter after the turbo and are running stage 2 maps. It's also commonly regarded as a good idea to either gut the up pipe cat (which is MUCH harder to destroy than the one in the DP) or replace the UP with one that is cat-less as there have been reports of the UP cat disintegrating and sending pieces into the turbo which is obviously a bad thing to have happen. I will point out though that COBB has never said you need to remove that cat to run their stage 1 or 2 maps.

Cheers!

^This is all true.

I ran the Cobb 93 oct OTS map with an up pipe/ down pipe with stock CBE for a couple months. It ran well. I did some data logging and never had any issues with boost creep, AFRs, etc. The horsepower gains from a CBE are negligible. I gained 27whp from a more aggressive road tune and 3 inch CBE. Most of the increase was as a result of the better tune. Cobb OTS maps are tame and supposedly "safe." Hope that helps.

Archived