LegacyGT.com

Booster Seats - Recaro Young Sport and Vivo

TSiWRX

My first instinct is to also harness-when-possible, but I honestly don't know if there's any data to suggest that it's safer/better, necessarily, than a comparably well-built (and properly used) belted booster setup....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Will-do!

You've got a new baby?!!!?!!! OMG, I'm so ashamed, I didn't know/remember! :redface:

Congrats!

Hey, I don't know which township you're in, but just about every one of them locally have free seat-inspections. I highly recommend that you get your setup checked-out by these professionals (and yes, their training actually is training! and is something to be respected :)). In Shaker Heights, it's down at the fire-station at Warrensville and Shaker, appointment-only, and, of-course, you have to be a Shaker resident.

For infant seats/bases, remember, "your weight is your friend" as you're installing the seat. Press "down and in to" the vehicle seat, while tightening the straps. I favor the knee in the seat/base and shoulders/back to the roof technique.

My 250 lbs. of pure Chinese-American fat really gets the job done! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

My 5 year old daughter and 8 year old son rock the Recaro Vivo's in my wife's car. They are very nicely made and the kids are fine with them. Kids can buckle themselves so they are obviously easy to use.

I have similar boosters in my car made by Graco but the Gracos have less padding (especially in the head restraint area). Both are easy to remove / wash.

Otherwise, the only noticeable difference is that the Recaro's don't have drink holders (but the Gracos lack the slick Recaro logo).

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

i can still use the latch system while she is in the harness which i really like, to each his own tho, i dont really have much info about one way over the other. I have read that it is recommended to keep them in a harness as long as possible. personal preference is latch system over properly used lap belted booster. obviously i dont know all the info or i would have a seat and not be sharing and seeking info about this

i can still use the latch system while she is in the harness which i really like, to each his own tho, i dont really have much info about one way over the other. I have read that it is recommended to keep them in a harness as long as possible. personal preference is latch system over properly used lap belted booster. obviously i dont know all the info or i would have a seat and not be sharing and seeking info about this

harness is safest, but eventually the kids get too tall to use the harness capabilities of the ProSport and will have to use the seat as a belted booster. Harness only good for kids below 50".

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

My 5 year old daughter and 8 year old son rock the Recaro Vivo's in my wife's car. They are very nicely made and the kids are fine with them. Kids can buckle themselves so they are obviously easy to use.

^ Again, thank you for that real-world tip. :)

I have similar boosters in my car made by Graco but the Gracos have less padding (especially in the head restraint area). Both are easy to remove / wash.

Otherwise, the only noticeable difference is that the Recaro's don't have drink holders (but the Gracos lack the slick Recaro logo).

An integrated cup-holder is a *wonderful* thing to have. I've jury-rigged one of those universal cup-holder deals for Anna, for both my Legacy as well as the wifey's Forester.

But like you said, there's no HPs to be had, without the Recaro logo! :lol::p

-----

^ That's me, too - if I'd known more/earlier, I'd have kept her ERF, too.

And as for the harness/belt thing, as with JimyJoeBob, that's also just my personal preference talking - like I said earlier, I truly do not know of any differences in safety, one or the other.

It would make life easier, for sure, to just have Anna crawl in the back by herself, and buckle herself in.....

^ Man, I was just laughing the other day, that Anna will get some Recaros, before I will. :lol:

Please do share your thoughts, both as-new and also after some use. I'm eager to hear them.

Thanks! :)

I have the Young Sport. My 7 yr old is still in it, and she finds it provides great support on the circular on-ramps. :lol:

It's a great seat, imo, and I like the ample side head protection. My daughter has no problems buckling it up. The only downside is on our 12-13 drive to Florida every year, my daughter complains it lacks padding for her butt. She's right. There is only about 1/4 to 1/2" of foam underneath the seat cover. My wife's Graco is more comfortable on long rides, says my daughter. And my daughter isn't big. At 7 yrs old, she's 47 lbs and 49" tall.

The other benefit of getting the Recaro is that you can, as I did, tell your 16 yr old car nut nephew that you got a Recaro seat for the LGT. He then has to wait 2 months to see it and runs out to my car to see the seat when we visited.

Upon his return, he mutters, "You're such an ass, Uncle Michael." :lol:

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if there's any updates from anyone on this topic. :)

I'm about to purchase either the ProSport or the ProBooster. Still can't decide which one I - and Anna, for that matter - would like better.

^ :) I was gonna say: that's a big newborn, to go in the ProSport! :D

Congrats!

lol Thanks :) When my wife asked me what kind of baby seat we should get my first response was "Recaro" she looked at me like I had done research and knew exactly what I wanted to get since the baby bargains book said for the money its one of the best seats out there :p Little did she know I was just thinking about the racing seat side of it.

^ :lol:

I obsess over stuff like this - so despite Recaro's name and the Euro testing showing their seats were truly among some of the better/best, I was actually afraid of putting Anna in them. We went with the tried-and-true Graco SungRide infant seat, and then transitioned her to a rear-facing setup on the again tried-and-proven Britax Marathon, before finally front-facing her at 15-months (in-retrospect, had I known better, I would have tried to keep her rear-facing even longer - i.e. "ERF").

To add to this thread, I will be purchasing one of each: the ProSport and the ProBooster - and finalizing which one to keep in both cars (buying another of the one we prefer; and using the "off" one as a spare) after some first-hand "seat time." :)

ProBooster arrived today. I ordered it on Monday night, off Amazon. Chose free "Value Saver" shipping, too. :lol: That was fast.

It's just sitting in the living room now, but Anna loves it. She's actually refusing to get out of it, and she insists that it's supremely comfortable.

I'll test fit tonight, and belt-in tomorrow or Friday, but it looks easy-to-use. Yes, I'm like that father in Taken, I'll download the manual of whatever it is that I'm shopping, to get familiar with it, well before I buy...... :lol:

The ProSport is due to arrive tomorrow (it was ordered at the same time).

Truth be told, I'd like to keep her in a 5-point harness as long as possible.

ProSport arrived today.

It makes our Britax Marathon seem like a toy. :lol:

It's a heavy sucker. If you need something that's easily portable between vehicles, this will push the ProSport down on one's list. Oh, and it's not just me being wimpy...even the UPS guy had a bit of an awkward time with the box this morning (I stayed home for the plumber - yes, go ahead, insert jokes here! :p).

Install was easy - the seat's definitely more complicated, though, given that it's a convertible between a harness and shoulder-belt booster: but for that, it gains versatility/utility.

I've pre-installed it to what I think are the right heights for Anna, and I'm going to pick her up, now. Wish me luck. :)

I'll report back later tonight with how she initially finds this seat, and also hopefully get her out for a quick tour in the ProBooster.

Initial feedback on the ProSport is that it's "best-comfy."

The one problem Anna encountered is that due to the huge side bolsters on the ProSport, she can no longer reach her cupholder/sunglasses holder/toy-holder setup, so we've had to readjust just a little for that. Assuming that we'll keep this seat, I've transferred the center armrest strap-on cupholder that was in my wife's '09 FXT to my car. The ProSport's thigh bolsters do include two small mesh pockets that currently holds Anna's sunglasses and family of Wiggy's Shifties.

Seat adjustment is pretty easy: the headrest/shoulder-straps (integrated) were too low for Anna when I picked her up from school, so I just sent her back in to her classroom, and in the span of less than 5 minutes, pulled, adjusted, and reinstalled the seat. A pocket multi-tool will make the adjustment of the center harness buckle easier, but virtually any decently strong pry-tool will suffice, even roadside.

I'll highlight again, this is one HEAVY mo-fo. :(

Also, those of you with physically larger children or for those of you (either parents or kids) who favor wearing your jackets in the vehicle, consider an alternative - the straps for the 5-point harness are strangely rather short (in my mind, that's not a bad thing, as it literally prevents parents from buckling in their kids when they've got a thick winter jacket on: something which can significantly decrease the protective capabilities of any child-seat).

----

The ProBooster went into my wife's FXT without any issues. We're going to go take a spin, right now.

One thing that I can already see will be a concern, for either car, and with any of the boosters that utilize the vehicle's seatbelt - is how to rig up a viable cupholder for Anna. With anything on the center armrest, it makes buckling the child in (or the child buckling themselves, once they get older) a bit more of a challenge, in terms of access.

More later.

Took Anna out for a spin.

She prefers the ProBooster over the ProSport.

Comfort is a factor - the ProBooster, in using the seat-belt, is what she prefers.

Archived