LegacyGT.com

what is the best AWD system?

rsd220

CVT is a transmission not an awd system. To add to that as far as I know no car company offers an awd car that is CVT. CVT stands for Constantly Variable Transmission. Basically think of a CVT like a snowmobile transmission in which it doesn't change any gears and basically depending on throttle input the engine stays at a certain RPM and the speed increases. It kind of wierd to drive for the first time, but after a bit you tend to forget it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CVT is a transmission not an awd system. To add to that as far as I know no car company offers an awd car that is CVT. CVT stands for Constantly Variable Transmission. Basically think of a CVT like a snowmobile transmission in which it doesn't change any gears and basically depending on throttle input the engine stays at a certain RPM and the speed increases. It kind of wierd to drive for the first time, but after a bit you tend to forget it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

You really need to do some research before you state something like that. Especially when the same car you drive comes with one.

You really need to do some research before you state something like that. Especially when the same car you drive comes with one.

Not really. CVT still refers to the type of transmission and really has nothing to do with what type of awd system a car has. Audi toyed with the idea of an awd CVT car, but CVTs are not very reliable and do not tend to last for very long. I'll admit that I didn't know subie did come out with a CVT awd car. All the car companies that offer a CVT have seemed to move away from CVTs now. They may still offer them, but all of those companies (including the non VAG) are having longevity problems with them.

Subaru had a CVT AWD car already in the late 80's.

The Trendy/Justy (name depending on market) with a 3-cylinder engine, electrical clutch and CVT through a metal belt. Actually not a bad car, but too much of a Nissan Micra to attract people.

453747.png

Audi still offers a CVT in the A3 platform and more and more companies are offering them. A CVT is superior to a gear based transmission in almost every way. The only thing it lacks is the ability to handle high power levels.

stop posting if you don't know what your are talking about

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Audi still offers a CVT in the A3 platform and more and more companies are offering them. A CVT is superior to a gear based transmission in almost every way. The only thing it lacks is the ability to handle high power levels.

stop posting if you don't know what your are talking about

First off A3's have a DSG not a CVT in which I am 100% positive about. A3's never had a CVT. I've also personally worked on Audi's with CVTs since they came out in 02/03. I've also rebuilt a few how about yourself? The only Audi's that have/had a CVT were/are A4 fwds, A5 fwd, and uber rare A6 fwd. I've seen maybe 3 CVT equipped Audi's in the last 2 or so years. Superior......really? Grenading at 40k miles is that great? Even when Audi has us basically putting the V6 version of a CVT trans in a 4cyl turbo they still don't last. If the chain or the variators are damaged in any way, the trans is instant junk. You also need to change the fluid as per Audi every 35k.

In a few ways CVTs are better in the fact that during acceleration they keep the engine in the best powerband until you let off. However just like a rotary engine, a CVT is a good concept and a bad reality.

Your right, I confused the DSG with CVT... but you're still making an ass of yourself

And I'm probably the only one in this thread who has actually rebuilt one too. CVT still has nothing to do with the awd system itself. CVT strictly deals with the transmission and not what system whatever company uses to make their car awd. The main basic awd systems are standard transfer case (like pickups, large SUVs, etc), viscous coupler (Porsche, Jeep, and a few others), torsen differential(Audi, VW), Haldex (Volvo, VW, Audi, Toyota, etc.). I'm sure I missed a system or two, but these are the most used and most common. Any one of these systems can be adapted to be used in almost any type of transmission.

The "T" in CVT stands for transmission. Again it is a type of transmission and not a type of awd system which is what this thread is about.

Archived