LegacyGT.com

SVX Purchase Questions?

carnumber19

Going to look at a 92 SVX this weekend. Has 101K miles and the owner states it runs really well, he uses it right now as his daily driver. The transmission has been replaced with one out of a newer model outback (late 90's I believe) so that is at least a plus, I've read lots of problems with the original one.

Basically, I'm just wondering if there's anything I should look out for, I don't really know Subaru's. I'm taking my brother with me who is ASE certified but is a Senior Lexus Tech, not Subaru, might bribe one of his Subie buddies to come along as well.

It's an old car, so your going to pay most of your attention to the undercarriage, engine bay, and exhaust for rust. Figure out how much money it's going to take to weld/patch/whatever is already rusted and what looks to be on the way out.

Secondly, drive the car at all different speeds and run through the gears paying attention to the tranny (with the radio off). Does it slip? Is this any grinding? Trannys are not cheap repairs.

As blue said, subaru-svx has a ton of info and even a pre-buying checklist although it is very basic.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

i had a 94 lsi svx with 255k on it. so here is my list.

good

things i loved

looks

speed

awsome in snow(with snowtires suxs without)

safe.

differnt.

good milage

the bad.

dont slam you leg between the door and the dash(you have to doit to know)

trany, change you trans fluid every other oil change and it will last mine did to 175k,

not cheep to buy parts.

things i replaced,

windshild(bronze one) 1500.oo(get glass insurance with this car)

trany, (replace origanal at 175k)

windshild (yep another one)

rear wheel bearings. are week,

sun visors break easly,,,,,

cant think of anything else i loved that car but would never have another one now that i have a gt wagon....

Archived