LegacyGT.com

Problem with sub/amp installation

metsfan999

I've searched forum to no avail, and i know there are already a ton of threads about audio installation but I couldn't find my issue. Anyhow, if it helps I kept my factory head unit and factory speakers on my 08 Legacy limited ed. I have a 10" JL audio 10w3v3-2 sub, MTX TC3001 class D amp, MTX RE-Q bass restoration device and all the wires needed. After installation today, everything seemed to work fine up until running into two problems:

1) after listening to certain tunes, for some reason the sub would just stop working and i would get no bass. after a few minutes, it would turn on again. then later it would turn off again. where did i go wrong here? :confused:

2) once i was pulling up into my garage, my tunes were still playing BUT there was no display on my head unit! I couldn't change the track or turn the volume down. the only thing i was able to do was turn it off. when i went to show a buddy of mine that the display was off, i turned my car on and the display was working again so there was nothing to show him! where did i go wrong on this part? :confused:

someone please offer me some advice. this is pissing me off now that i have it on my mind, i don't feel like paying someone 300 dollars just to do the job. :mad: thanks to anyone who can lend a hand in this. definitely appreciated. :)

The issue with the sub amp sounds like a thermal shutdown. Some amps have a light that shows when it's in that state. If that's the problem, you might need better ventilation (or don't run it so loud :))

Could also be the ReQ turning off the amp remote-on line. You can check that with a voltmeter -- see whether it's still on when the sub goes quiet.

The HU problem sounds like something other people have seen (there have been several threads -- try different keywords). The display portion (which is a separate piece that you can unscrew and then unplug from the main body) can get flaky or outright fail.

If it keeps happening, try disassembling and reassembling the face panel. Take a close look at the contact pins (with bright light and a magnifying glass, if necessary) to see if any are bent or dirty.

If it's bad, Subaru sells that part separately (but at that point you go aftermarket, using the JDM A/C panel if appropriate).

Archived