LegacyGT.com

16in Snows on my 2005 GT?

Pondrat

Hi folks,

I found a great deal on winter tires and rims for my 2005 GT Limited wagon but wanted to check with y'all before I pulled the trigger.

The tires are 205/55/16 on 16in alloy rims (very nice SAAB ones). Aside from the SAAB logo in the middle, is there anything wrong with putting 16in rims with those tires on my car? According to miata.net's tire calc, the overall size is REALLY close, but tire rack and others don't suggest 16in rims as an option. Seems like it should be no problem, right?

Thanks as always for the help.

-Mike

Be sure you can clear the brake calipers - that's usually the hang-up on having 16-inch wheels, for the 2.5GT.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Someone else must have tried this - how can one tell before hand if they will clear? Is it specific to the model of wheel or same for all wheels of that size?

That's what the search function is for, right? ;):)

If you tried a search, you'll have brought up some past posts on 16-inch rims: one specific one will show someone who took an angle-grinder to his front calipers, and got 16s to clear....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/16-wheels-05-legacy-gt-31703.html?t=31703&highlight=16-inch

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/has-anyone-found-16-wheel-lgti-72434.html?t=72434&highlight=inch

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ugh-16-inch-rims-wont-fit-2005-lgti-97732.html?t=97732&highlight=inch (check out post #27)

By playing with the offset and/or using spacers more aggressively, you may get one on there, without having to grind away anything, but I honestly don't know what the end result will be like.

Also, remember, while a certain offset of one wheel may allow it to work with the setup, that offset, on another wheel, may not - things like spoke design can impact (no pun intended) the issue, too.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ I dunno, is there a way to test-fit? :(

No thanks needed - I'm just an old fart on these Forums, and remember a lot of past posts, which helps narrow down the search parameters. :)

That, and I'm also a researcher by training and trade. :lol:

^ Cram it on there, it'll fit with enough Sawzall, angle-grinder, 5-lb. sledge, and duct-tape, for sure!!!! ;)

Archived