LegacyGT.com

Weird noise/hum

Not sure how to really describe this but here it goes...

I get a weird hum (not sure if hum is the right word) when going about 50 mph - 75 mph. Worst around 55mph.

Now I am not sure if this is the same hum that other people are describing for the wheel bearing issue. However my car is 09MY and it seems everyone else with bad wheel bearings are older. So I would of imagined they would have fixed this issue on newer models. :confused:

You can rest assured this doesnt sound like a bearing issue. It would be prevalent at all speeds, gradually worsening. Is there a shake at all, or a vibration? In most cases when a noise shows itself at a certain speed, its a wheel or wheels out of balance.

The funny thing is, I don't think the wheel bearing issue WAS corrected with an updated part.

This has been happening on my car from the factory pretty much, started to notice it at like 3-5k, but it was not bad, it would come and go around 50 mph. It seemed to only on trips more than 15-20 miles at 55 (took a while to start humming).

Took it to the dealership at around 8-9k they said nothing was wrong.

Now I am around 20k and it is every time i get up around 50/55 mph

If i remember correctly back when this started you could feel the vibration in the pedals, and the floor if a passenger was in the front seat. I really do not feel it now, or maybe I just got used to it and don't notice it now.

lol. well it could be a number of things. Does it happen only when you accelerate, or does it also happen when you coast? You can also hear thing more clearly when you ride next to a wall, like a concrete divider on a freeway or something that will bounce the sound off to your ears.

GL hunting down your ghost sound.

X

---

During acceleration and crusing.. if I am acceleration the noise gets faster as I speed up.

I had a noise like this on a different car (daily beater) and I swore it was coming from the driver's side. Accelerating under load and it would go thump-thump. I checked everything on the driver's side and nothing, Checked the passenger side and had a torn CV joint boot. Changed the driver's side axle and it went away. I guess the thumping sounds travels from one side to the other.

GL

X

---

On my ride home last night i put my foot on the clutch (just lightly resting, no pressure at all) and i could feel the cyclic vibration through it.

Vibration travels throughout the whole drivetrain. You can feel something on the left side, and it may be coming from the right.

X

---

I am going to take it in after labor day. The thing that gets me is that if the car is cold, it doesn't do it at all/does it faintly where u can't really hear it. However, once I drive 10+ miles at 50+ mph, then you can hear it more clearly.

Archived