LegacyGT.com

Stabilizer bar link washers

Changed my front sway bar links out today and noticed an "extra" larger beveled/cupped washer, driver's side, on the inner part of the top bushing (the washer "cups" the rubber of the inside of the top bushing and is beveled opposite the "cup" of the washer) . The passenger side did *not* have this washer, and it's driving me nuts.

The last owner that changed these out says he doesn't even remember there being any washers and the service manual only lists one washer #.

No part store could help of course, and lowe's only had a standard flat washer. It's a 3/8" hole, if I remember right.

To me, it's a pretty specialized part to be put there by chance, since the svc. man doesn't list the larger washer as stock.

Attached svc. man parts pic

Would the sway bar need only one washer of this kind? I just don't get it.

Sway1.jpg.5568a454ddde5cab31af377ade3f71c3.jpg

I'd say head to the breaker yards, see what the cars there have and how they are assembled - assuming they haven't been overrun or disassembled with other parts-seekers

D

Yup! Ahead of ya. Went to local salvo Monday and snooped round some '91 - '94 Legacy non-wagons and they did *not* have the top inside washer... One mech. I spoke with says it looks like a "shock washer" and "maybe they misinstalled it"... Great.

I'm trying Subaru again today, front end guy's been "out sick" the whole week, joy.

Archived