LegacyGT.com

How do I repair my 06 GT Ltd leather steering wheel?

pourhaus

It is separating at the seams that face the driver, at the 9 and 3 o-clock positions.

It appears there is a rubber backing underneath the leather that has split. I thought I could glue it then tape over it while the glue hardens, but I do not know what glue would be best.

Donations of clue appreciated.

Regards,

Tim

I had a similar problem with my 2005 LGT Limited before it was sold. I let a friend drive it and after I got it back there was a piece of leather superficially torn up off the surface. From the location on the wheel (at the ten o'clock position just on the backside) it matched where my ring finger would hit it, and that is what I presumed caused it. I used Gorilla Glue (very little as it expands, and a little goes a long way) and covered it with painters tape. Two days later took it off and you could barely detect it was ever damaged. If you do get some of the glue on surrounding surfaces, it can be carefully removed with a sharp safety razor. Lift up the glue edge carefully with the razor and then cut at the base parallel to the surface. Do not try to use solvent to remove excess glue. In hindsight, I should have rubbed some type of wax everywhere I didn't want glue to stick, to make the later removal of excess easier. Good luck with the project.

I believe Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane glue (there are others on the market, Elmer's makes one too) that will expand as it cures (like GTurabus said). I would practice on something first to get a feel for what it does. It also needs moisture to activate it. Getting the leather slightly damp should be enough.
It is still ugly.

• 2 weeks later...

My 05 LGT wheel was starting to feel a worn and the shiny part of the leather finish at the top of the wheel is mostly gone (can email pics) but is otherwise flawless - no stitching issues, no coming apart, no wierd spots...

I am replacing my old with a new momo wheel - if you want my old one you can have it for $20 shipped (as long as shipping is less than $20). It is shockingly easy to change your wheel.

Pretty sure the 05-06 "oem" momo wheel are all the same. The 4th gen revision has a different wheel than 05-06. I have not switched the wheel yet but the new one is here... As soon as I do I will post some pics. I did go back and take a real good look at ALL MY STITCHING is 100% intact.

Unfortunately they aren't the same, due to +/- buttons for the transmission. In fact I now see how the Auto variant is DUMBASS. Mine has split under the seam you can see faces the driver. This seam incorporates NO stitching between the two pieces of leather.

Here is Otto:

http://images.cars.com/supersized/DMI/195273/815611.05.jpg

and here is Manuel:

http://images.cars.com/supersized/DMI/155934/U02417.06.jpg

Wow that is totally DUMBASS. I wonder why they did not stitch it. I am guessing it is a design revision from the 05 wheel that I have that is in the lower picture.

Consider finding a furniture or auto fabric repair place and see if they will add stitching and glue it up for you. I am guessing $20 for the repair.

Archived