LegacyGT.com

A favor please

Ransom

Ok, so during some tuning the increased boost revealed a vacuum leak around my factory BCS hoses, fuel cut was the giveaway there. I pulled the whole thing out and cleaned the oil off the leaking connection and prepped each hose with a zip tie and put the BCS back in, reinstalled hoses and pulled zip ties closed and snipped the extra length.

I'm a newb, so stupid me didn't take a picture or closely note how the hoses were hooked up:confused:, so I'm 90% sure I have it right based on how the hoses naturally retain the shape they have been in for the last 48k, but 10% of me wonders if I hooked it back up wrong and that is why I'm not getting anywhere with the tune. Seriously the car feels stock still or weaker and the guy has a good rep. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but I'm trying to figure out why we aren't getting anywhere and I haven't touched anything else.

I know the hoses are marked so a picture would really help! Could somebody with their engine cover off take a picture of their setup and post it for my peace of mind?

Perhaps the car would be running terrible if I did this, but then I've never made this mistake before either :rolleyes:

You should have some "after" logs that will highlight any issues that are present. Can't help with the hoses since mine are nowhere near stock.

Here is a learning view and a log of a 3rd gear pull. It felt a little rough and like I might have only been at about 13psi max during the run.

I suppose I could post a picture of how I have the hoses hooked up and anyone could chime in if it looks wrong.

I'll get on that.

romraiderlog_20100825_212648.csv

1251351768_LearningView_SS_8-25-201093659PM.jpg.32cb58683f9a83467b496323fbaa558e.jpg

First. You have a knock event around 3300rpm.

Second. Your timing still needs smoothing.

Third. You have a leak. It might not be at the BCS. You are not hitting any load. Your load is WAY down. This is one of the reasons for low boost. You might have made a tube come loose on the PCV or something. Or maybe the lines are backwards and it is the wastegate. My car is too far from stock to tell by your pic.

Follow the tubes to the Turbo and tell me where each is landed.

First. You have a knock event around 3300rpm.

Second. Your timing still needs smoothing.

Third. You have a leak. It might not be at the BCS. You are not hitting any load. Your load is WAY down. This is one of the reasons for low boost. You might have made a tube come loose on the PCV or something. Or maybe the lines are backwards and it is the wastegate. My car is too far from stock to tell by your pic.

Follow the tubes to the Turbo and tell me where each is landed.

Thanks for the input.

Problem #3 would have to be fixed before #1 and #2 could be ironed out.

I did originally have a leak when I took that whole unit out and prepped them all with zip ties. It was the return line from the PCV to the inlet and there were the typical signs of oil. That particular leak had been there for long time and only became a problem under higher boost situations. When my tuner tried to raise boost I think that one leaked more under higher pressure and that's where I originally was getting fuel cut. That's my theory, because that particular leak was not causing a pressure difference at idle when measured.

I really think the most likely cause is maybe I got one of the lines reversed as I was putting everything back together. This would explain the nose dive in engine load wouldn't it? I've checked the dinky lines that feed the turbo around the factory pill and that little junction and remarkably they look fine.

I really need a schematic of the factory BCS hoses or a photo from someone that has their engine cover off to be sure about anything else. Well, they need to have stock BCS too of course.

Based on the natural bends in the hoses created by time, I'm guessing there are only two that would be easy to reverse. Hmm. How terrible would it be for me to test this theory out?

vacation pix dont help much, but here you go.

Actually that really helped! I had the hoses right. It's good to know for peace of mind. If there is a leak somewhere I can't find it or any signs of it. Chances are the first leak that was there simply set back the tuning process and it just needs more work.

It feels good not to worry about that any more. Thanks for the schematic M Sprank! You're a good man!

Archived