LegacyGT.com

Problem with DMFW to SMFW

NorthernVTGT

2005 LGT 5MT was making serious TOB noise. Parked it for several months and then ordered the following from Fred Beans:

• '07+ SMFW
  • '07+ Clutch disk
  • '07+ Pressure Plate
  • '07+ TOB
  • 8 new hex-head FW bolts

Had the whole shebang installed by a good local shop with Subaru/Honda specialty.

I am now in reverse hell. After a good first week, now the trans is making a cricket-like sound IN gear. Not the TOB squeal, but crickets. Not with clutch pedal depressed, but once full engaged and in gear, I get a faint crickets sound. Push clutch pedal = silent. Idle in neutral = silent. Drive in gear (especially third = crickets). Before today's long drive (180 miles highway) gear oil was full. Can't get at dipstick as I am outside of Boston without tools to pull the engine cover.

Any ideas? Search didn't help me. Vague ideas of adjustment issues and loose mounts on other boards.

Thanks for the idea. At least something to research that doesn't include opening up the housing.

I vaguely recall another post talking about clutch pedal adjustment/loading on the LGT. Do any of the more experienced (than me) on here have a thought on that?

Appreciate the help. I am hearing some wheel bearing noise now and one of the rear strut mounts in clunking. My 10/2004 LGT is showing its age.

try putting pressure on your shift lever when you hear the noise. I am getting a simular noise with my stock DMFW and it is especially pronounced in third, if I put my hand on the shifter the noise stops. Just a thought...

Archived