LegacyGT.com

Brake Swap Questions...

06Scooby

Hi everyone,

I just joined (not sure why it's taken this long) but I have an 06 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Wagon. It's non-turbo and 5 speed manual and I've had it since new with 6 miles on it! So I just turned 60k and did the 60k mile service (Tranny & diff fluids, brake fluid, coolant, etc.) I do most of my own maintenance except fluid flushes that I'm not set up for.

Anyways... this is about brakes. So I know the brakes are getting thin... they haven't started squealing yet but they are very close. I don't race the car and with the exception of some occasional spirited mountain driving, my brakes have it pretty easy. My wife primarily drives the car and she is anything but aggressive (funny how that works after you get married). I will be doing the brakes myself.

Ideally I'd like to just swap for OEM pads from Subaru but they are so friggin expensive. A friend recommended the Wagner Thermo Quiets... anybody used these? Also, have you guys been able to turn the rotors or are they already too thin? I've never had the rotors turned as the brakes have always worked flawlessly.

Any suggestions on saving money without sacrificing stock stopping power and quality? Any other tips I need to know about before I tear apart the brakes on an upcomming Saturday?

Thanks,

dp

I've been using the search option some but I haven't found any threads (yet) just talking about a decent and inexpensive OEM replacement since i'm not looking to up the performance (crazy I know!)

toolbox, was it necessary to replace the rotors or did you do it for good measure? My current plan is to go with the Wagner Thermo Quiets in the organic OEM material (can you upgrade to ceramic which is OEM on the turbos, and does it make a difference?) and I was just thinking about cutting the rotors or doing the bedding process I found stickied on the threads. I barely get just a little pulsing here in the past month or so but have never had issues with the brakes pulsing or anything before then.

For me I found a place to turn the rotors for about 20+ bucks each (gotta love Northern NJ).....I just went with new. You can easily measure the thickness of the rotors (which would determine if its "safe" to turn the rotors as they have an acceptable thickness). Just be cautioned (and search) as a normal caliper will not work as you create a slight lip where your pads do not make contact with the rotors.

Like darkside said do a search for some of the tips (measuring/acceptable thickness)

Archived