LegacyGT.com

Carputer, installing reverse cam, where to get reverse singal ?

Deadleave

First, I did search, and most of the posts are addressing adding camera to OEM NAV, which already has the reverse wire plugged in.

For NON-OEM, where can we tap to get trigger for reverse camera in the console area. I know I can tap the reverse lights in the trunk area, but that means I have run it all the way back to the monitor, which is in the cubby.

Is there a wire in the dash I can tap ?, help

Jay

There technically should be a switch near the shifter, as that'll determine when it's in reverse or not. However, I didn't want to poke around in there and just ran a line to the back from the reverse lights.

If you know what you're doing, it'll take no more than 30 minutes to do. I ran the line up through the headliner and along the door frame. Works great, easy to install/remove, and took no time at all.

You can put the switch in the front so that you don't have to run the wires all the way to the back. I just plugged the hot end of the reverse cam into the reverse light socket hot, and the ground to a screw in the trunk.

I later decided that I wanted it on more than just when in reverse, so I tapped into the license plate lights because I always drive with my full lights on. That way when backing in and out, I don't lose the feed everytime I pop it into drive.

Archived