LegacyGT.com

tranny dipstick question

i have a 91 legacy with a 92 drivetrain. changed the tranny filter and fluid last year. added fluid until full.(with the eng. running) changed fluid again yesterday. owners manual says to add 2.6 to 3.2 qts then add to full. the tranny jerks funny sometimes so this time i added 24oz. of lucas tranny fix and almost 2 qts of fluid.

with eng. running and warmed up, the level reads around the low side of the cold mark. i went through the gears and checked again. same reading. i left the car over night and checked it an hour ago with it cold and it was past the full mark on hot line. don't know whats going on.

any thoughts on why this is so? is the torque conv. leaking out?

i appreciate any advice.

i had it on level ground. i can't figure out why when the car is cold, the stick reads past the hot mark. i had a injector replaced and the mech. said that subaru are parts specific. does that go for fluid capacity? 91owners manual vs. 92 tranny?

the car has been shifting eratically. it does it more when its at running temp.

i go by what the manual says on how much fluid to use and hope for the best or what?

the reading just don't make sense.

Oil shall always be read with engine off, so the hot/cold marks are always to be read that way. When the engine is running oil is in circulation and located in several places around the unit so the reading will get lower.

If anything - try to drain off some oil so that you get the right reading. The volume indicated for an engine or gearbox is never exact. It depends on how much oil that's trapped in the unit when you do a change.

As for "funny" behavior - the gearbox is electrically controlled so I suggest that you also check electrical connectors to the gearbox.

453747.png

Archived