LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT wagon interior color swap

I was researching the novel idea of finding the right LGT wagon to purchase and not being so concerned that it would come with black leather as I would then do a swap with someone here that had the light (Taupe) interior and swap it out to both of our preferences.

And then read a thread (that I failed to bookmark) that I cannot again find where someone swapped an XT interior with a LGT of similar vintage.

Just what would be my options, given I plan purchase of an 05 06 LGT wagon (limited) and what other subaru models might offer an interior that would be a straight swap...and most importantly which would might appear to be the same, but in reality, which models would not be suitable? Thanks!

Cheers!

Ran

I thought it might have been Z's thread but the search function here seems a bit specific and I couldn't find it again, and given his horrendous work schedule getting an acutual PM replied to might have taken some time!

Will venture to ask him directly..thanks Blaze!

Ran

One must admit that with over 3500 postings here, Z's 'detailed' thread is going to be not only detailed but really informative reading...thank God for small favors?

One aspect that might be key is if one is going to swap with another person, he/she might well be in the same hemisphere if not neighboring interstate? :D

Cheers and thanks!

Ran

Update: I kindly got an immediate response via PM from zmarko and here's the relevant portion, should anyone think about a similar change of pace, and/or if anyone in Southern CA has an 05 LGT limited wagon in Taupe very good condition, that I might put our a feeler as to the potential switchover donor...PM me or post here if so.

Also: Having not disected the nuances of his thread, as of yet, I was wondering also what Z did about the carpets?...Were the carpets switched as well Z and would the taupe interior look allright leaving the dark carpet and/or would this not be fair the the donor car, it now having dark seats, etc with it's original light carpets? Can't quite picture it in my mind's eye. Also, it seems a 5MT to 5eat car might not be the right way to go given the shifter and other subtle differences. I plan a 5MT but it's not set in stone as of yet.

Anyone interested, Here's (quoted) Z's 'take' on the swap job that he did all by himself...Good man!

...the interior swap is fairly involved...not difficult, but time consuming (unless you have help). All in all, it took me roughly 10 hrs of solid work. But that was with me never having pulled an interior panel (besides the radio/console) in my life. Just get a good set of interior trim pulling tools (Harbor Freight sells a set for like $6).

I would suggest having a full set of tools handy (most bolts are 14mm and 10mm), but it's good to have others handy. Also, unplug the battery before starting anything so you don't run into any airbag issues, and make sure you don't hook the battery back up until you're sure ALL connections under the seat and in the B-pillars and in the dash are hooked back up securely.

I would also stick to model year to model year. Meaning if you pick up an '05 LGT, you'd want to swap interiors with another '05 LGT or '05 OBXT.

Archived