LegacyGT.com

Looking for ideas on next car... HELP me out.

Currently have an 05' 5MT Stg 2 LGT that I love, it has been a great car to me, I'm just thinking ahead since issues may be around the corner and I cannot afford to have an unreliable car with a new job I took at Chrysler. I need a fast car that is a daily driver in Michigan with 4 doors and room for two car seats (2 and 4 yr old girls).

I don't have much time anymore for fixing my car so it needs to be reliable, even with mods like the LGT. Other criteria:

- No RWD due to Mi snow (unless technology has come that far w/traction control/tires?)

- If it is a Chrysler I get a nice discount (~5% below invoice) and save 5min a day in walking outside. Only Chrysler vehicles get to park in the garages and close lots.

- No manual (yes I said it, long story but the wife will need to drive this on some weekends so I can tow the boat with her Odyssey). Prefer twin clutch like in EVO or something similar, but regular auto is fine I guess...

- Under 40K for sure, would strongly prefer to be below 30K

- If used, 20K miles or less to give me a warranty for at least a year.

- I would like a bit of luxury but performance is number 1 for sure.

EVO X

11' WRX or STI?

SRT8 300C

Others?

Let me know guys/gals,

Mike

Pontiac G8 GT with blizzaks for the winter. Its been a great car for 2 years and gets me around well in the snow. (17in snow tires) I have yet to find a better all round performance car for the money. Great performance, huge, solid, looks cool, somewhat unique, little bit of luxury, V8 power and it doesnt beat you up as a daily driver. Mid 20s used.

Downside. Big, gas mileage, not many interior gadgets.

Two more factors:

- I don't want everyone and there brother to have one... somewhat unique/sleeperish like the LGT would be nice.

- Nice aftermarket following, cheap to upgrade (and still reliable) like the LGT

Why do they discriminate against non-Chrysler owners where you work?

Is 5 minutes outside really going to kill you?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Hey Mike, as far as an unreliable car goes -> you just never know when you're going to get a bad one. My (bone stock) 2005 Legacy GT was hyper unreliable and spent a lot of time over the four years I had it. It had loads of problem, and kept misfiring, and had injectors fail, etc etc... It spent an entire summer at one point at the dealership under going repairs.

Realizing I got a bad apple, I gave Subaru another try in 2008. I got a 2009 Subaru Forester XT, which now has 24K miles on it (which is more miles than I put on the LGT after 4 years since it broke down so much). My '09 FXT has been bulletproof and extremely reliable.

So yeah, you never know when you're going to get a bad car. To me, the whole "that's an unreliable car" argument is pointless. All manufacturers and models have a couple of bad apples in the bunch.

I just noticed you got a job with Chrysler. Congrats, but you're pretty much limited to buying one of their cars. From what I read, auto workers sometimes vandalize cars made by other manufacturers parked at the plants. Not a good idea to look outside of Chrysler, unless you don't mind seeing it keyed or with a flat tire from time to time.

Jeep SRT8 if you're ok with the fuel costs that come with that truck.

+1

Or just get a regular Grand Cherokee (used or maybe a new one?) for work, and have a seperate toy for weekends. I spent 12 years in Detroit working for a supplier, so I know how that goes. And yes, it can be a VERY COLD walk into CTC from the 'non-Chrysler' parking lot. I never personally had my car messed with at an Assembly plant, but I know others that did, so I second the thought that you really should get yourself a Chrysler vehicle to go with the new job.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

SRT8 with an intake & handheld programmer and you're set -- 110+ mph traps with plenty of room & features. 300C or Magnum, take your pick. I like my Hemi truck enough that I'd be very interested in the 6.1 liter sedans.

Pontiac G8 GT with blizzaks for the winter. Its been a great car for 2 years and gets me around well in the snow. (17in snow tires) I have yet to find a better all round performance car for the money. Great performance, huge, solid, looks cool, somewhat unique, little bit of luxury, V8 power and it doesnt beat you up as a daily driver. Mid 20s used.

Downside. Big, gas mileage, not many interior gadgets.

x2 My father has a 09 G8 GT with a set of blizzaks for the winter and he never has any problems.

SRT8 is a nice looking ride. Don't know about the interior though. I will need to join a forum and do a bit of research. I wonder how insurance is. I like the G8 as well but I would always be wanting the GXP with a manual. Evo X is more my style though minus the wing and some different rims. Kids are growing like weeds so maybe a bigger car would work. Think I may go drive an SRT8 this weekend. I will report back.

I think the new Impreza line is VERY close in size to the '05 LGT. My sister has a '10 Outback Sport, and the interior feels pretty much the same size as my LGT. The new Imprezas are based on the old Legacy ('05) Chassis.

Just drove a used 09' WRX base. It is about the same size as the LGT so I think I would be fine for years with the kids. I seemed to be sitting a bit low in the car and the dash/hood seemed a bit high. Clutch and shifter were much smoother than my setup. Ironically I heard some FW or clutch fork squeak... perhaps it was modified. It was not nearly as fast as my car and the 4K spool of the VF 52 vs. my VF40 around 3K would take some getting used to. When spooled I was not blown away with the power or delivery. It was a bit eratic and not as smooth as mine. Not a fair comparision being stock vs. my stage 2. I liked it though, a few mods and I think I would be very happy. Dude wanted 24K for it with 25K miles. For that price I would buy new.

Archived