LegacyGT.com

Fuel injector issues

Hello everyone, I have owned a few Subarus but the latest one has something going on with the fuel injectors so I thought I'd bounce it off some other Subaru people

I have a 1990 Legacy Estate LS 4WD 2.2 that I got for pennies, and have got it in good order except for some fuel injector issues that are driving me mad

I replaced all four injectors as two of them were inop - now I have leaks at two of them, a strange seep from the top of each one, same location, seems to be the top o-ring

Is there a specific procedure for replacing these? I followed directions, placed each gasket carefully inside the injector seat, didn't twist as instructed, tightened the 8mm bolts simultaneously, etc. and the seep(s) keep coming back

Obviously it's a fire hazard so I'd like help if anyone has any ideas

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the reply

I went to the local Irish-named auto parts house and bought some o-rings to replace the original ones on the injectors I nabbed from the local snatch-a-part

Solved!

Now it runs a treat - except the AWD system seems a bit grabby, is replacing the gear oil on these models difficult? Should I use 75w90 gear oil to replace it?

I checked the oil on the front diff and it smells like a campfire, I'm assuming that's indicating "replace me"

D

Good that the leak is solved.

It's never wrong to replace the tranny fluid now and then. Too many fluid changes will only hurt your wallet and 75W90 seems to be a good alternative.

Just check that you use oil that's suitable for LSD:s in case you have one.

453747.png

Actually I have the misfortune of an auto-box which I've already changed with Dexron VI which made a big improvement along with the external ATF filter

The front diff seems to be a bit grabby and the gear-oil smells like a campfire - is this easy to change out? Is there a drainplug below? 75w90 AGIP non-syn work well? What about the rear diff? Same?

I've also developed a rough idle lately, all cylinders and injectors are firing well but is there a IAC or similar device I need to go after and clean?

D

There should be a drain plug. I do suspect that you may have a LSD, but when you are at it I would suggest that you check the drained oil thoroughly for metal particles in case there is something more serious going on. I think that the drain plug is magnetic too.

The campfire smell do indicate that there has been heavy load on the LSD, and if you lack LSD then there is something really wrong, but if you don't have any noises and no metal shavings you will probably survive that too.

Same oil for rear and front, no difference.

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...

Solved, with help from AGIP, the fluids that I use (actually GULF as well)

I exchanged the ATF, added BG ATC+, changed differential(s) oil and engine oil (20w50 non-syn) and the problems have all but disappeared - including the flashing "power" light, torque-bind and the odd smoke and idle issue which has since been attributed to the leaky injector diluting the oil

I now check the ATF when warm, through the gears and idling on a level surface and there are many small bubbles on the stick, no matter if it's checked cold or warm, what's all this?

The CEL is also on now, it has been on and off since I bought the car

Any suggestions

D

Archived