LegacyGT.com

Nitto NT555s, Toyo's, and others...

GTLEGACY007

Anyone running the Nitto NT555s? I've heard some people say they're nice, some say they're absolute junk. Contemplating tire choices for my up-coming wheel swap, looking for opinions from those who have actually used these tires. If I don't go with the Nittos, i'll likely move up the ladder to something like the Toyo T1Rs, or something similar.

Looking for opinions from people who have actually run these tires. Gonna be looking to spend between $550-$850 on tires, which leaves me some room as far as quality of tires goes. I don't want to pay $300 more for some tires I don't need/don't really fit my driving style, so I'd like some opinions from people with experience. My car is a year round daily driver, will see no snow, but a decent amount of wet weather.

I'm on my second car and third set of the Nitto 555's. I have been very pleased with the performance and ride quality, thats why I keep buying them, and will continue to buy them. The 555's have one of the largest contact patches so they are very grippy, and do perform very well in the rain. I run all season Kumho's on my winter set-up and get flat spots until the tire warms up, the Nitto's do not have this issue. I will be buying another set of Nitto 555 this coming spring.

What do you mean by "don't have a clue"? I have done my research on tires and these are what I prefer for cost and performace. 007 was looking for people with experience with these tires so I gave him my two cents. Do you have experience with the 555's? Because I have 5 years, just with my Legacy, and have been pleased. Thanks for adding "hilarity" for other "people like this" that are happy.

looking for tires myself. 555, kumho spt, yoko s drives, general uhp, hankook ventus, neogen, etc...

the 555 being directional, how many miles do you get out of these? i will be using these as summer only.

looking for tires myself. 555, kumho spt, yoko s drives, general uhp, hankook ventus, neogen, etc...

the 555 being directional, how many miles do you get out of these? i will be using these as summer only.

Hard to say exactly because I run these about 7 months out of the year. 54k on the car, so my current set has 25-30k, and are starting to get bald. Hope this helps.

Opinions of people who have no clue should not count.

Contact patch size (tire pressure and size being equal) would be larger for a tire that has softer construction. Softer sidewall that it. Softer sidewall means you'll be driving a boat (relative to a decent tire). They will be relatively comfy though.

Softer side wall also means that grip will be very limited in sharp turns (tire will roll onto the side wall) and it will take higher steering wheel rotation to turn the same amount.

And lastly: larger contact patch with crappy tire compound will not help you much even in straight line braking.

----------------Personal attack begin:----------------

5 years on one tire means one thing:

You don't have much to compare them too.

And the fact that you allowed your tires to start getting bald means that you don't care about wet grip either. Any tire after 4-5/32nds thread depth looses much of its wet grip.

----------------Personal attack end----------------

My advice - get something better for the money, there are plenty of options.

P.S. I drove a friend's car with these 555's in autox setting a couple of times (and it was raining).

Well, all personal attacks aside, I prefer the Nittos because they have lasted so long. The Re92's, Kuhmo SPT, Kuhmo AST, Yoko Parada spec 2's, Nitto Neo Gens are my comparisons because I have owned all of these, and this further reinforces that I bought the right product for me. But don't listen to me because I have "no clue" and no experience:lol:

Opinions of people who have no clue should not count.

Contact patch size (tire pressure and size being equal) would be larger for a tire that has softer construction. Softer sidewall that it. Softer sidewall means you'll be driving a boat (relative to a decent tire). They will be relatively comfy though.

Softer side wall also means that grip will be very limited in sharp turns (tire will roll onto the side wall) and it will take higher steering wheel rotation to turn the same amount.

And lastly: larger contact patch with crappy tire compound will not help you much even in straight line braking.

----------------Personal attack begin:----------------

5 years on one tire means one thing:

You don't have much to compare them too.

And the fact that you allowed your tires to start getting bald means that you don't care about wet grip either. Any tire after 4-5/32nds thread depth looses much of its wet grip.

----------------Personal attack end----------------

My advice - get something better for the money, there are plenty of options.

P.S. I drove a friend's car with these 555's in autox setting a couple of times (and it was raining).

What tires do you have and how do you like them? Seems you've got lots of experience with various types of tires, which do you think'd suit my needs best? Keep in mind, year round daily driver, no track time, but I would like them to be "performance" oriented.

Personally I've been driving on various 'extreme/max performance summer' tires for quite a few summers. If you want advice start not with "tell me what you think of tire X", but "recommend a tire under $Y installed, I care about dry performance at _ on the scale of 0 to 10, about wet grip at _/10, longevity at _/10, noise at _/10, ride comfort at _/10, how cool thread looks at _/10, reputation of tire brand among ricers at _/10" or something along those lines. Otherwise it looks like you made up your mind already.

This summer my wife is driving on Bridgestones 960as.

Archived