LegacyGT.com

Clear Bra Care...

Clear bras generally have a clearcoat applied, so you can treat it like regular paint except don't use harsh abrasives like rubbing compounds. You can use a machine on if you use a super mild polish (swirl remover) or cleaner wax. I'd recommend taping the leading edge before waxing so you don't trap residue in the seam and draw attention to it.

Be very careful with it, because like redline76 said, you can't use abrasives or rubbing compounds on it if you get scratches or swirls on the clear bra. I wouldn't suggest waxing it or doing anything to it. There isn't a whole lot of point in doing that and it will only increase the chances of swirling it. Nothing looks worse than a swirl free car and then a clear bra full of swirls on the front. Its not so invisible then, is it?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I wouldn't suggest waxing it or doing anything to it.

That is the perfect route to a swirl free dull clear bra....

It needs to be taken care of just like anything else. Neglect it and it will let you know. Try a product called Plexus (available at most motorcycle shops) or a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant (available at a variety of places including Ace Hardware). Both will clean and protect your clear bra - and work to keep static down too.

If you have a clear bra made from Venture or Llumar (neither are clear-coated) and don't keep a good coat of wax/protectant on it at ALL TIMES it will quickly absorb road oils and grime and turn an un-cleanable dull gray. Even though 3M's Scotchgard does have a clear coat, it is still susceptible to getting dull. Plus adding a UV barrier is never a bad thing! Same goes for the paint for that matter.

http://www.hot-subaru.com

this is the 3rd car i've had stongard (clear bra) applied to it and i've always waxed it just like the body. I'm just careful at the seams so wax doesn't accumulate there and leave a telltale white line.

I do stand corrected. I hadn't thought about the other products that you can use to protect the clear bra. I was in the mode of thinking about people running their buffer loaded with polish over it. :lol: If you have some Plexus or 303 then those are indeed good products to protect something like that with. Good point, Kevin.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I had it done a couple of weeks ago. Looks decent for what it is and hides well on silver. Starshield Armor (the guys who did it) also put film on the leading edge of the scoop and behind all four wheel wells. I don't feel so bad blasting up the fwy at 80mph anymore :)

I don't think it's super delicate either. I'll treat it the same as my paint as it is a 3M product with clearcoat.

I really wouldn't suggest treating it exactly like paint. Just because it is a 3M product doesn't mean it is meant to handle abrasives. I wouldn't suggest treating your paint with Plexus and I don't suggest using a cutting compound on the clear bra. I think if you avoid using abrasives on it then you are probably ok.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Well, I don't intend on using anything more aggresive than a swirl remover on this car if I treat the paint every 3-4 months. Obviously I won't be using harsh abrasives on the bra; I mentioned that in my first post in this thread :)

Be careful on what kind of swirl remove you use. 3M Swirl Mark Remover as well as Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover both are loaded with fillers with the mild abrasives. I don't know how good that would look if you used something with fillers on the bra. I'm sure you'll take good care of it though. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived