LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT post accident update

So the car's being worked on now that the adjuster took a look at it. Just about 5500 in damage from the hit.

But the garrage guy is a good friend of the family and he told me to make sure that the insurance compan isn't going to cheap out with crap parts from Taiwan. I checked my policy and it does say that they have the option to use aftermarket parts or used parts if they are available.

That said, other than the radiator/condensor, what should I specifically ask for them to use OEM / genuine parts for? What should I look out for them trying to buy?

I asked the SafeCo rep on the phone and they said that if the vehicle is still under warrantee that the adjuster might be bound to keep the radiator/condensor due to warrantee voiding issues.

But they also said that if I wanted to pay the difference between the approved assessment and the OEM, that I could do that too.

And FYI, SafeCo approves up to the first $1000 in aftermarket parts ruined by the specific accident. So my crushed COBB airbox is being replaced.

It sounds like you're pretty much up to speed.

Remember that if you are at fault for the accident, the cost of the repairs will go against your future policy rates. Demanding more expensive parts for the sake of having OEM parts may wind up costing you more in the end. My experience was that 9 times out of 10 the aftermarket parts will be fine. Body shops don't like them because they get less profit off them and may need to finesse them a little more for body lines to match up. You can get OEM parts that are junk and don't fit too.

Remember though, regardless of what happens, if it isn't right or doesn't look right your repairs are guaranteed and you can have them make it right.

That's good to know. Because the other guy has the same insurance as I do, there is no deductible (normally 500 bucks). So i was surprised to not have to pay anything. Thus, I am willing to pay a little bit (ie: 100-200) if that's the difference between a new oem radiator/condensor vs a knockoff.

I just hope I don't run into any surprise cut corners, etc.

Archived