LegacyGT.com

Will a downpipe create that boxer rumble?

a nice fat full-length dp bestows a bit more of that 'springy' porsche-esque sound; sweet, but very subtle. i noticed this upon swapping my crucial divorced shorty for a 3" cobb bell.

as the other indicate, it's not the rumble-maker.

^ Even then, he still won't sound like a "Hon-duh." :)

Even with equal-length headers, at least on the BL/BP, there's still some retention of an underlying "off-beat" boxer rumble. This note becomes lost with the BM's new setup.

There are now numerous videos of BMs with aftermarket exhausts. Compare those to the innumerable videos of equal-length header fitted WRXs/STIs and even BL/BP Legacys. There's a distinct difference.

I agree, as I have an ELH on my LGT; but some people seem to think that it sounds (more) like a honda now.

^ Definitely much less lumpy, but it's far from that "Hon-duh" sound!!! :) I think it's just your friends pokin' fun at ya!!! ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Honestly the OP isnt making a lot of sense to me. He's complaining about lack of the boxer sound, but doesnt want to spend much money cause he's saving for college, but yet he's not smart enough to try "hogzaust" (which is free if you already have the washers), but wants to spend $300 on a DP, but... etc etc etc.

Why not try the free things first, then go from there. Your trying to save money right? Hard to beat the price of simple things like hogzaust. Even better yet... You could always do a search for the exhaust sounds, there's a whole thread devoted to it. Then you can hear a bunch of different setups and compare them.

I'm amazed that everyone's been so nice about this so far. Typically a flame suit is charred by this point.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

^ It's just a sound mod - what's the big deal? :) How is it any better or worse than spending a few hundred dollars for the Crawford Gymkhana unit? like their detractors on NASIOC like to say, isn't that just a length of bent pipe? ;) What's the difference between the Hog and any other kind of exhaust bypass/dump/cut-out?

Power wise, with less restricted flow, that can't be bad, either. :lol: And since we're a community of enthusiasts, shouldn't we all be running a 4" DP that dumps straight off the turbo, no muffler, no un-necessary piping thereafter? :lol: Why even bother with any aftermarket CBE, as they're only gonna cap the power!

I'd run straight-pipes, if the wife would let me. :redface: But that's for the sound only. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I have considered the hogzaust, not denouncing the option, simply trying to see if there are any alternatives. Searched for the hogzaust online, didn't particulary find the noise eminated sufficiently loud. That said, I do have discretionary money, just not capable of purchasing something that is above the financial threshold that are catback exhaust, regardless of the make. Installing pipes in the stock muffler is one candidate, definetly contemplating that as one solution. Wanted to indicate that I am trying to imbibe everything everyone is saying, and did see the muffler section accentuated with the bold underlining, just still new to this. My mistake if I am not making sense.

Archived