LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket head units

LegacyGT in talon

Ok so i've read some threads on here about our factory head units. Read about the CS that JLaudio has coming out and its a brilliant idea. But what about the ppl who want to put DVD player's in there or hook up game systems to it? Will we have to do a complete custom setup. Or can we still use the cubby hole in the dash which i've seen on some other post (It looks bad ass, props to u) But if we use the cubby can we still use the OEM head cuz i would love to have my disc changer still. I wasnt sure if u can run to different players off of one wiring harness or if your going to need a set for each unit.

I plan on installing a head unit in the cubby and maintaining use of my factory system. I will use a LOC to pipe the audio of my factory stereo through an auxillary input of the new stereo. I am still sketchy on illumination and power, I will more than likely turn to a professional just to be on the safe side. To answer you question, I don't think you will need 2 wiring harnesses.

I kinda get what your saying. Your going to take the factory and connect it to an aux port in the new head. So when its all said and done when ever u switch to the aux the factory head will turn on by itself or do u still have to turn it on by hand.

You would still have to turn on the head unit or just leave it on, but that is a very minor incovienence. I would use the factory for cd's and radio, so I won't have to worry about connecting an antenna to the new unit.

I am going to use my factory radio as a red harring. My DVD Alpine deck is going in the glove box and is going to be controlled by an Alpine touch screen, mounted flush where the cubby/temperture gauge is. Temperture gauge is going where the ash tray is.

I'm in Canada, so in Canadian dollars, the touch screen cost me $800, the deck that is on order is $600. I plan to buy the I-pod adapter which is $130, and looking at a buddy to get me XM radio as we can not get it here (equipment) in Canada, but can receive the signals loud and clear.

I have a aftermarket Stereo parts from my last car, so as far as subs, amps, caps and components I am already looked after.

It is not a cheap solution, however, to put a flip screen deck in the cubby, will still run between $1,300 and $2,500 depending on the style. Having a deck in the cubby above the factory radio to me looks cheesy Why have two radios right abbove each other? The touch screen flush mounted where the cubby goes looks super sweet. Looks almost stock......if a screen was available in North America.

Archived