LegacyGT.com

Help with nasty new squeal/rattle sound

wpmarky

While driving city streets home, I heard a squealing sound coming from my front left wheel area. I tried pressing the clutch in, but the sound did not stop. When i coasted to a stop, the squealing continued.

When I start the car, it revs freely without sound. Romraider was shoing 9lbs of boost while parked and revved.

When I put it into gear, one time it rattled upon engagement, the next 2 times it didn't, but when i start rolling it defenitely started squealing again.

When I moved from 1 parking spot to another, the reverse & 1st gears engaged smoothly, I did not feel clutch slip, but as I was moving, the squeal was slow and oscillating.

I've replaced my tranny oil to 75w90 extra-s at 10k and 30k miles. Car is now at 41k miles. I was planning to do my next oil change soon, last one was at 38,000 miles.

In the past I've experienced a choppy shifts into 2nd gear before, but 1st and 3-6 were all smooth. After searching, I saw alot of other folks say that the 6mt 2nd gear was just harder to shift . I've also had the decelerating grinding sound in 1st and 2nd, but I had read this is because of the straight cut gears, so I was hoping that was normal as well.

Does this sound like a TOB issue? or maybe the input shaft? Or bad 2nd gear synchro? Wheel bearing?

Had the car towed to the dealer this morning. Driving from my garage to the tow truck, then off the tow truck up to the front of the service booth, the sound did not come back... 1st and Reverse engaged normally again, more to come.

Archived