LegacyGT.com

2006 2.5i - No Cooling fans

Noticed last week that my A/C was acting a little strange. It would cycle on/off. Compressor on for about 25 seconds, then off for about 25 seconds and back on. I don't use the a/c a whole lot so I figured that it could wait till my next oil change.

Then yesterday my wife calls, while driving the car it overheated. It was 90 something-ish outside and it overheated. I had her wait till it was cooled off, top off with water and drive it home. So now I've got in the garage here, i flushed the whole system out, filled it back up with with coolant/water and I believe I found why it over heated.

Start the car, let it warm up to operating temp and no cooling fan engagement. I turn the A/C on, the 2nd fan should engage, it does not. I replaced the "Main Fan" relay (Largest relay in the underhood fuse/relay box) and still no results.

Specs on the car:

2006 Legacy 2.5i

77,585 miles

Auto trans

Is there anyway to check the other relays?

Can I hook the fan directly up to a hot ignition 12volt source to verify that the fan motor is indeed operational?

I have 80k miles on my 2006 2.5i and my driver's side cooling fan motor blew recently, so it may be likely. I believe they said they ran it off the battery to test it. I've already had my cooling fan relay replaced. My car would begin to overheat if it was at a standstill for 5 - 10 minutes at a time because cool air was not running through the radiator.

It is weird though, because once my driver's side fan motor blew, the dealership told me that the passenger side had also blown. I had a hard time believing this because I saw the fan working a few days before. Sure enough, I open the hood a few days later and both fans were cutting on.

Luckily, this cooling fan business has been the only major problem with my car (knock on wood).

Archived