LegacyGT.com

Does the brand really matter for intercooler?

Gemini91

I'm planning install aftermarket TMIC or FMIC in August. Haven't decided which to buy. Is there big difference between famous brand like Perrin and other brand whose price is much lower?

For me, the price difference is not a problem if I can gain obviously more power with the famous brand.

Perrin:

Gosh Perrin is actually the absolutely best. I would buy Perrin before anything else. In fact, Perrin is fantastic. I am going to name my first child Perrin, boy OR girl. I also think Perrin should sponsor me.

Alternate:

We all know that things bring happiness and that money brings happiness so clearly more money and more things bring more happiness. You should buy the best deals on ebay you can find and compile the most awesome and impressive mod list ever - all while saving money and end the end you can sell you car for more than you paid for everything! Yeah! That be rice... er I mean, cool![/sarcasm]

The Truth:

Buy a RacerX like most everyone else (I have one, have installed another and seen 3 or 4 more installed) or PM Josh over at Import Image and check out his new topmount.

EDIT: I am not expressing dislike for Perrin, you fanboys, I am merely teasing OP

Depends on goals.

If Top mount you have basically 3 choices. Perrin is largest. AVO is known for best fit and IPC(?) is new. Both Perrin and AVO TMIC support around 330whp or so (realistically).

If FMIC there are lots of choices really. Kits easy to find and buy include Perrin, AVO, WBR and RacerX. Perrin is the largest, AVO and WBR about equal in size and RacerX the smallest core. Each has their own market and design strengths.

Perrin is for most power (claims of 1000hp supported). AVO and WBR for big power while keeping fogs (WBR loses bumper beam). Claims of 600hp plus. Or RacerX which supports 450hp but was designed to alleviate the known issues of the other three brands.

Prices range from $750 (RacerX) to $1500.

Keep in mind also that of the four only RacerX allows you to re-use the OEM airbox.

Prices range from $750 (RacerX) to $1500.

Keep in mind also that of the four only RacerX allows you to re-use the OEM airbox.

TRUTH:

RacerX requires the most minimal cutting, retains oem airbox, oem battery location, oem BUMPER BEAM, oem foglights.

RacerX cost less than comperable FMIC and is good for 400-450whp (observed)

If you want OEM look and are not looking for more than 300-350whp a TMIC can do the trick. If you are considering a turbo upgrade consider a FMIC for wide open turbo options (meaning sti style or lgt style turbo)

EDIT: If you are considering going to the track, my FMIC heatsoaks so I can only imagine ANY TMIC must heatsoak like a mofo'. (I probably need to get a turbo blanket and wrap a few pipes)

I wish COBB made a TMIC. Personally I'm never going to track the car, and realistically you can't just throw a massive turbo on the car without changing everything else to support it, from airbox, to fuel pump, to pistons to all the other support systems.

So my goal was always 300-325, so I'm sticking with the TMIC. Currently I'm at 18.5 PSI on the OEM TMIC and it's holding just fine. But I want to go to go higher, but I can't.

My setup incudes the cobb sf airbox, VF-52, COBB TBE, and I'm saving for the Perrin TMIC, and COBB BOV they got... heard it's one of the best.

Archived