LegacyGT.com

E-mail alerts not working

Guest *Jedimaster*

Guest *Jedimaster*
I rarely get my e-mail alerts. I like having them as I don't have to go and search for new posts. I think that it's a fluke with phpbb- I had it on the V1 of my site. Perhaps as the site grows it should be imported into something like VB.

And he doesn't listen either. Damn kids. :roll: They work on my end. I haven't been having any issues with that part of the site. The time-out issue persist though and it's not with the server bandwidth as I had originally thought, I think it might be that you have to fully wait for everything to load and then click a link or it will freeze for like 15min. Still a bummer.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Yeah, that's basically what happens to me. Another wackt thing is sometimes I'll click to reply to a post and it will just go to the homepage :o

Guest *Jedimaster*
Strangely enough, I just got an e-mail that there was a reply to this thread :lol: I know you only get one e-mail per thread, but I seem to get them at random, if at all.

Alerts were much better today. Do we get one per thread every 12 hour period? I received two on the Japanese BP5 Legacy thread: one from this morning (1AM) and one from the afternoon (2:55 PM). On another thread I received an email around noon and another near 6PM for today. Not a problem... just curious. Another (possibly related) issue? When I log into the site in the evenings, it often lists "x" new posts since I last visited. Here lately that number has dwindled and some posts that are new are not showing up in that number or in the list that comes up when I click the link... thoughts on that?

Guest *Jedimaster*
And this is why I'm saying that it might be a good idea to upgrade to VB. There's even an import script available at no extra charge from Phpbb to VB. As this site grows, you don't really want to be using a free board, especially with a bunch of mods you may want to add.

I don't understand why I need to pay for something I can get for free. As an open source lead developer myself (PHP iCalendar) I prefer to support open source. I have also been using PHPBB for years, and can modify it to fits my needs fairly easily. I don't see a need to learn another program. I will look to see if any other board owners are reporting similar email issues, but like I've said, I've received every email I've subscribed to, across multiple accounts. If you guys could check spam filters, etc, that would help also. Who knows if I've been RBL'd or something.

I could add something like this: MOD Name: Email Digests Author: MarkDHamill MOD Description : Sends customized email digests to self subscribed users of a phpBB board. Daily or weekly digests can be send. Digest can be customized to restrict posts to particular forums and to be sent at a particular time of the day. Excerpts from posts are presented with a convenient link back to the original message if the user wants to read more. Other filtering options are available. Requires crontab or similar server side utility to send the digests.

[quote name='SUBE555']And he doesn't listen either. Damn kids. :roll: They work on my end. I haven't been having any issues with that part of the site. The time-out issue persist though and it's not with the server bandwidth as I had originally thought, I think it might be that you have to fully wait for everything to load and then click a link or it will freeze for like 15min. Still a bummer.[/quote] Kids? :lol: Ok old man, you're about 2 years older than me! :P

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Tide']I don't understand why I need to pay for something I can get for free. As an open source lead developer myself (PHP iCalendar) I prefer to support open source. I have also been using PHPBB for years, and can modify it to fits my needs fairly easily. I don't see a need to learn another program. I will look to see if any other board owners are reporting similar email issues, but like I've said, I've received every email I've subscribed to, across multiple accounts. If you guys could check spam filters, etc, that would help also. Who knows if I've been RBL'd or something.[/quote] Please don't think I was trying to down on you or your site at all- I only meant to get across that VB, in my experience is a bit more stable, particularly for a large board- and more user friendly. I wasn't aware that you were involved to the degree that you are. Many admins aren't very knowledgeable about what to do if a problem arises- this used to include me- my own board is something that's just a hobby- any time there's been an issue, I had to go and learn about what the problem was and how to fix it. It's just a little side project for my own entertainment. So hopefully, if I did come across wrong, you don't take offense- noe was intended :)

[quote name='brady_bunch']whoah... I figured out what the problem was on the "x" posts since last visit. DM has been slacking. I came back in just now and saw 19 new messages... 17 of which were from DM. :lol:[/quote] I was busy yesterday, didn't really get a chance to post. I'm back now though.

No no, don't worry. I come across as an ass in real life too. :) :) I am looking into my servers email logs too just to check everything. Would anyone be interested in the Email Digest mod?

[quote name='Tide']Would anyone be interested in the Email Digest mod?[/quote] Not me... but thanks for asking. Seriously... on the "x" number of posts since your last visit: What is the timeout for sessions once we logon? If I don't log off and just close my browser, how long will my session stay active? That may be playing a part in the post count being off. If my session is active for an hour after I log off, it expires have noted 20 new messages since that session, then I log on later that night and only 5 additional new messages have been posted since my session expired, it might only show 5 new on the logon page. Is that feasible?

I think portal counts the total number of posts since your last visit, where search counts topics with new posts in them. Sessions should last 3600 seconds (1 hour), but it could be that php.ini is overriding the boards session management.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Why even bother with limiting the session? If I'm at home, I like to leave myself logged into all the boards I go to. If I'm at work and don't want someone looking at my account or whatever when I'm away from my desk, I just close the browser.

If you have auto-login set, your autologged in each visit, no matter what session timeout is set to. The 1 hour limit is for those who want to login in post, then leave (and be logged out -- not auto logged in).

Archived