LegacyGT.com

No power / crunching / oh dear

Tried searching other posts but to be honest I am not sure how to narrow down what i'm looking for so here goes.

Pulled up to a junction yesterday with car running fine but as soon as I pulled out on to a main road (with a pretty large scandinavian sized truck approaching) car had no power, it was revving to 3/4k but would only go 10kmh which was a pretty scary moment :eek:. Pulled over into a layby and tried reversing which seemed ok but as soon as started in 1st again there was a horrible crunching/grinding noise from what sounds like the front right and still no power. Stopped immediately and pushed it a bit further off road but with the crunching sound happening even whilst pushing. The crunching seems worse when turning and can feel it through steering wheel.

Thought might be handbrake stuck on at first until the crunching kicked in but it rolls easily so doubt that... have my suspicions but any ideas about what it could be?

OK, went to take another look before calling out a trailer. Turned the wheels to the left and heard a very loud 'clunk'. Checked under underneath and the front right driveshaft is now hanging there separated from the wheel... problem solved (kind of). :)

i was gonna say, ur axle broke. not giving u power to all 4 wheels. and when it was spinning it was just banging against stuff. very cheap to replace (60 bucks). i would also recommend u replace the ball joint while ur at it. for the 25 bucks and piece of mind. plus it will save u time and money cause u wont have to go in there and replace anything again for awhile.

just to make sure u ordered the right part. u need AXLES. the driveshaft is the long shaft in the center of the car that drives ur rear wheels.

also check ur upper tie rods. make sure there not lose. this will help tighten up ur steering.

Archived