LegacyGT.com

How do I know when my turbo is going out?

My turbo blew and noticed it got loud right before it.. and then the check engine light came on lol. I'm no mechanic but there are banjo screws with filters in them that get clogged, thats what mine was. I spoke to a guy that instanlty knew that was it, i'm thinking you could take those out and clean them if you knew what the hell you were doing.

My turbo blew and noticed it got loud right before it.. and then the check engine light came on lol. I'm no mechanic but there are banjo screws with filters in them that get clogged, thats what mine was. I spoke to a guy that instanlty knew that was it, i'm thinking you could take those out and clean them if you knew what the hell you were doing.

that response is heavily sarcastic right? as in this has been discussed ad naseum throughout the forum and there are these mysterious "banjo bolts" that nobody has ever heard of?

and there are these mysterious "banjo bolts" that nobody has ever heard of?

Agreed, the name Banjo may conjure an image in your mind of a black guy on a tall stool with

a plinky sounding five-string instrument although IF you listen/read carefully... you may finally 'hear' it here?

(Nothing to do with a Banjo, aside from the ping noise these bolts make when they snap (like a banjo string)

as when over-tightened by clueless individuals that pass for Certified techicians at your local dealer...?)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/JRanmann/Screenshot2010-07-27at74011PM.png

Actually IIRC, BMW engineers coined the phrase in the mid-seventies and it refers to a set of bolts used on the (straight six)

BMW M30 engine (and straight 4 cyl. engine for the 2002 motor) that holds the oiler tubes to the valve assembly

atop the head and under the valve cover.

What's unique about them is that oil flows thru the bolt itself and (as normal) the bolt is also threaded and under harsh extremes

performs a vital function...and holds the assembly all together as well...

These bolts also can be found on may fuel-injection systems, same purpose and as BMW built not just a few aero engines (since WWI)

it's likely that the BMW engineers in the Seventies just borrowed the technology when needed and also took credit? :D

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/JRanmann/Screenshot2010-07-27at74049PM.png

ummm..let me rephrase that, a critical oil supply function in the case of the H4 turbo engine.

Hence not over-tightening these puppies during an oil change at Subaru is vital... as if they leak, the oil goes elsewhere

and one's valve gear starves...or in this case one's Subaru turbine/turbo fails with a whine and a whimper...

Oh, and re-use of it's sealing/seating washer (crush type) at Subaru (and at home) is likely the cause for 80% of all turbo failures?

(First they break it when you're in for service, then Subaru charges us (out of warranty) for it's repair... all over again!

Knowing the accumen of your Certified tech and that he/she is on top of their game at the dealership,

seems of critcal importance?

Cheers!

Ran

• 3 months later...

"Oh, and re-use of it's sealing/seating washer (crush type) at Subaru (and at home) is likely the cause for 80% of all turbo failures?"

Ran you must own the "banjo bolts" section on wikipedia!But I did not get what your saying in the quoted line. Hit me back

Ran you must own the "banjo bolts" section on wikipedia!But I did not get what your saying in the quoted line. Hit me back

Hey, I'm a guitar player...and banjo performances are practically the same fingering right?... minus the one string string, of course... :D

Glad to be of able assistance Refuge: The aforementioned 'bolts' and any filter elements within the turbo oiling system are supposed to last the life of the engine, although without regular (documented) oil changes at a max 4k miles... these tend to clog and are never subsequently checked as normal procedure (even by Subaru themselves) during an oil change.

The dreaded maybe/maybe not Subaru warranty issue of what's termed "restricted orifice" that could only have been caused by excessive sludge buildup...so one pays for one's new turbo plus R/R.

I got a code, and then ~5 hours later I got a crunchy whizzing sound followed by no power at all. It was decidedly obvious.
Typical.. to not make the displayed 'code' alphanumeric in english and say (TURBO FAILURE IMMINENT) so that the car didn't keep going that five hours...

Archived