LegacyGT.com

'97 Auto starts in 2nd gear??

MooseMan

My fiance has a '97 Legacy L Auto with about 170,000 miles on it. The thing runs great - but the transmission does some really weird shifting in first and second gear. The best I can tell is that it doesn't actually make it back to first gear and is starting in second. Once in second - it realizes that it needs more power and slams it back to first.

I can shift up by hand on the auto shifter and it works fine.

Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
My fiance has a '97 Legacy L Auto with about 170,000 miles on it. The thing runs great - but the transmission does some really weird shifting in first and second gear. The best I can tell is that it doesn't actually make it back to first gear and is starting in second. Once in second - it realizes that it needs more power and slams it back to first.

I can shift up by hand on the auto shifter and it works fine.

Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Looks like no one knowledgeable has real advice. I may be completly off but maybe your computer has come to learn to shift that way according to you driving style.

I can suggest as a last resort to reset your computer by disconnecting the battery for a minute. Once it is reset, it may "re-learn" to your driving style and shift differently.

Archived