LegacyGT.com

If you've ever needed more space under driver-side dash...

ClimberDHexMods

Note I have a 5eat, car is a 2005 LGT.

I needed a LOT of room under the driver-side dash, and now I have it.

The key for me was to remove the dash board, though you can accomplish most of this without doing so if you are incredibly motivated.

First, I relocated the DRL module to much higher where the main wire loom spans the dash board laterally. It is removed with a 10mm socket, and then a flat-head screwdriver removes the small metal bracket from the plastic module.

Second, there is a cloudy clear/white plastic bracket thing that has a couple connectors in it/on it. It is worthless. The top part of it holds up the main wire harness with factory zip ties, so that part is useful. The bottom part hogs a lot of space and can be removed completely. Use a small flat-head screwdriver to assist in the removal of any connectors in this bracket thing. At the very top of it, there is a 10mm nut that holds it on to the firewall. Easy to get at it with no dashboard. Very difficult at best with dashboard installed. Once removed, I took a hack saw and cut off the bog bottom part of this plastic bracket box thing and and threw it away, then reinstalled the top of the bracket.

Now I have enough room to put a box that is 7x4x2.5" IIRC. I could probably put a second one in that space since there is now actual uninterrupted volume under there.

Lastly, there is also a lot of room above the BIU (black box bolted to steering column with two hidden 10mm nuts or bolts) on 5eat cars. MT guys will have less space in any aforementioned area, but you also don't have a TCU in the way, and can still benefit from making space in these areas.

5eat guys, if you need even more room, you can unbolt and relocate the TCU (silver metal box to immediate left of brake pedal). I had success making brackets out of cheap brackets from the hardware store, but ended up not needing the extra space it created.

In closing,

There is a lot of space to stuff the existing small modules higher up under the driver-side dash, especially for 5eat guys. Some supporting plastic under there can be removed with zero drawback or issues afterwards.

If anyone wants pictures, please make a request in this thread. Once I get time, I can probably honor most requests.

Edit: I put back in the fuse box and attached it to the relay box, and I have a ton of room there now (5eat). Pictures to kind of show what's up.

Pic 1 - Under dash near left foot place, behind tan fuse box and relay box (both removed).

Pic 2 - Closer. This is the stupid big plastic thing. The bottom half of it is useless (read on).

Pic 3 - Now above the big metal bar, I have already removed the DRL module and relocated it above the massive wire looms. Also unplugged the big white connector from the white cloudy plastic bracket (part of the connector is slipped into the white bracket thing, and part just unplugs) and pushed it up as well.

Pic 4 - Zoom in to white bracket thingy. This top part you see if useful because it holds the loom in place. Cut the two black zip ties on either side, but do not touch the one(s) in the middle. Unbolt gold nut with 10mm deep socket. Then use a plyers behind the bracket to squeeze and release the pop-it part of the black zip tie you didn't cut. This separates the white plastic from the black zip tie. You will reattach this later.

Pic 5 - Bottom half of white plastic bracket thing cut off (shown) and thrown away :)

Pic 6 - Plastic reinstalled. DRL module plugged in and tucked in between the two looms. This is much higher than before.

Pic 7 & 8 - plastic white connectors reconnected after removal from the cloudy plastic bracket that was thrown away, and ziptied in place so they don't fall down.

By getting rid of the bottom half of bracket and DRL box and moving anything up to where there is space way up next to the big metal bar, lots of room is made :):):)

IMG_0953.thumb.jpg.dff7179c15d7edfc7ed371e9852e7075.jpg

IMG_0952.thumb.jpg.4aa2c78616ad1c58edf04fd628ee79cc.jpg

IMG_0955.thumb.jpg.af12e4af15b65bc9fa29341b06dc1eb5.jpg

IMG_0951.thumb.jpg.f734dc7ee4c2970834a140ba87bde4d2.jpg

IMG_0965.thumb.jpg.fe6ca27f06ea252f4edb4c0561cceb85.jpg

IMG_0957.thumb.jpg.df11e0586a3ede3aacdf355ef8b4c8c7.jpg

IMG_0959.thumb.jpg.2169e1cf4a76c0aab380c48386286bcc.jpg

IMG_0960.thumb.jpg.ad0bc4949f59fae60aece83494718b9c.jpg

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I could easily fit guns in this space, but it's for a module box I made. When I get a chance I'll upload pics. They aren't worth much because it's hard to see under there, which is why I did the write-up. But I'll get them up eventually.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I dont need pics. my 1.5 years on this forum and I havent used that "worthless w/out pics":lol:

Thanks for the write up

Good man.

Archived