LegacyGT.com

Which FMIC?

blaze165

Alright guys, Im going to be purchasing a few parts in the next couple weeks and looking for a FMIC for a DOM 2.5xtr on pump, I like the WBR kit but like every kit it is super expensive.

Do you guys think I could get away with a RacerX?

Alright guys, Im going to be purchasing a few parts in the next couple weeks and looking for a FMIC for a DOM 2.5xtr on pump, I like the WBR kit but like every kit it is super expensive.

Do you guys think I could get away with a RacerX?

Oh sweet. I was just piecing together a list of what is needed to run that turbo myself. Can't wait to see some numbers.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Core mount beam. CRAP.

Pipe route, using all that custom silicone. CRAP.

Pipes hitting ABS controller. CRAP.

WBR intake. CRAP.

Seen AVO, Perrin, RacerX, WBR. Installed RacerX and Perrin. If you need a BIG core... gulp... Perrin. But I think they just discontinued their FMIC.

Mounting beam looked fine to me. It doesn't pretend to be any form of bumper, that's true, but it's a perfect fit.

There's custom silicone in the piping? There are two S-shaped couplers but that hardly seems exotic. My pipes never had any clearance issue with brake system components.

I don't have their intake. I have the even crappier $12 plastic housing from Spectre. It's been a year with no problems though, and I didn't pay $100+ for the privilege.

It's amazing that as these cars get cheaper, and thus more apt to be modified by their owners, the big manufacturers discontinue parts for them. There's no way I could have put this kind of coin into a $30k car I was still making payments on.

I agree that with the falling prices of used cars, their popularity with the younger crowd (especially on the East Coast), and the abundance of them for sale used the tuner market should be ripe for picking the pockets of the next generation of young modders.

Some manufacturers are ramping up. Some are ramping down.

Oh, and try finding those "S" shaped silicone couplers without having them custom made. The only good thing I can say about that core mount is "it fits". It works, don't get me wrong. But for the asking price, other kits work just as good and look better. I am all about form and function. Not just function.

So the WBR core mount stinks but the other one doesn't mount at all and that's better?

I tried to find a pic showing the mounting bracket but this is the best I have from when I was installing this time last year.

http://moojohn.com/subaru/fmic1.jpg

I don't see anything bad about the mounting beam. Turns out I don't have a "finished" pic either, but the IC core fills the bumper opening completely and it's perfectly level left to right.

I could make the beam in my garage from scrap metal. Have you seen a Perrin beam? At least it is boxed steel and actually uses all four OEM mount points. Plus the core is larger, allows you to keep the fogs and is straight and centered.

My point is about price. The WBR is over $1000. For the money, you should get better. The RacerX is $750 (with BPV flange already welded on). The core is smaller, yes. But the OEM beam is intact an unmodified. WAY safer for a DD car. Plus your insurance is actually valid, lol. The core can be hard mounted with two pieces of angle. It has tapped bungs welded on. But the beam holds it just fine.

Just one guys opinion, thats all. If you like it cool. I have istalled a few different brands. I have seen them all in person. Of the three brands costing more than $1000 WBR is my least favorite. Oh, RacerX is the only FMIC for an 07+ LGT for less than $1000.

So the WBR core mount stinks but the other one doesn't mount at all and that's better?I don't see anything bad about the mounting beam. Turns out I don't have a "finished" pic either, but the IC core fills the bumper opening completely and it's perfectly level left to right.

Yes it is WAY better that way. If someone is all butt hurt they can get an L bracket and mount the RacerX to the frame but it is NOT going to improve the design - all it is going to do is hold the IC in place without a bumper beam, bumper or pipes which is meaningless. If I were to hang my car from the rear beam I could drop a line from the RacerX IC and decend to the floor. It is going NOWHERE (particularly if locked in with bumper beam plus silicone bumpers instead of letting it "float").

Removing the oem bumper beam = no longer a dd street car I dont care if the entire rest of the car is OEM. I wouldn't let my wife drive in a WBR kitted, Perrin kitted or any other non OEM bumper beam BS that will reduce the crash rating from 5 starts to 2 at best - and she feels the same way about me.

EDIT: Exception for MSprank and folks like him, anyone who has had a pro-race card can make their own safety decisions but I am NOT a pro by any stretch of the imagination.

My not so humble opinion?

This is a no-brainer: racerX good for up to 400-450whp. More than that much HP in a LGT and it is no longer a regular DD streetcar anyway - who cares about a bumper beam when racercar results is the goal. Hell, if I had 500+whp in my LGT I'd have a cage anyway.

^^ I won't form an opinion until I do one/see one myself, therefore I cannot even recomend one until I see/install one myself. Thread or no thread.

It was a rhetorical question :lol: Everyone appreciates your honest candor and that you will not mindlessly co-sign something you have no experience with - seriously!

I never said that not having a mount was bad. I asked why no mount was better than any mount of any description. After dropping $3k on go-fast parts, another $300 didn't change the budget that much so I went with the largest "budget" FMIC I could find.

I would have preferred a beam like Perrin's too. I don't know how a larger core could fit or do any better than what I have now. I'll never use it to its full potential. Later on I plan on seeing how much the OEM beam would have to be altered to go back onto the car.

I think some people have construed my comments to sound as if I don't like the RacerX option. On the contrary, I think it is the best value on the market -- a 100x better choice than spending the same coin on an upgraded TMIC.

I must be missing the part where it looks bad. Do you mean only the "not a bumper" core support beam? The pipe routing for all FMICs is about the same so it can't be that.

http://moojohn.com/subaru/fmic.jpg

With the cover back on it looks like a stock car with a shiny radiator. You don't see the whole endtanks or couplers at all. Still have the stock fogs.

That part is fine in "looks" When the skin is on it looks like a FMIC. The black "S" couplers on the hot and cold side are visible from under hood. They get grubby fast and just dont look great to begin with. I hate that they are custom bends. What if you need to replace one? In general the kit is not as solid as others in the rice range. The fact that WBR pushes their intake so hard with the kit sucks too. Just like their intake sucks. Notie in the pic too how there is nothing attached to the lower two frame rail bolts? Just behind that in the rail is the airbag impact sensor. There is nothing left on the car to trigger the sensor until the impact crushes the rail itself. They could have easily made the mount plate a few inched larger and used all four mounts. Then just put a piece of steel pointing off the core mount to the edge of the core somewhere. At least this could trigger the airbags in an impact. Way to go making the front end airbag sensors useless.

The RacerX piping takes a route no other kit comes even close to. But its not about route. Its about price. I looked at all the kits in person. The WBR is not any cheaper than AVO or Perrin. Not if you actually call for a price instead of just looking at Google. Perrins are ony $1150 on their website right now. I have been quoted less than $1300 for an AVO. Of the three kits costing more than $1000. WBR is my least favorite.

Its my opinion. I might be an a-hole and completely wrong. Not bagging on anyone who uses it. It works fine. Big core. Just not my fav. I think your mom is really nice lady if it helps any.

I must be missing the part where it looks bad. Do you mean only the "not a bumper" core support beam? The pipe routing for all FMICs is about the same so it can't be that. Still have the stock fogs.

I must be missing the part where it looks bad too because that core DOES look sexy and if I had the choice visually, I would rather the hole in my bumper be filled with FMIC core only and not have endtanks or pipes visable - but I am not going to buy a FMIC based on looks.

The RacerX pipe routing is totally different than every kit and even every custom-fab out there. At Subaru Summer Solstice there were a LOT of FMIC and none used the same routing as the RacerX.

How did you get the stock fogs to fit in front of that thing?

Honstly that is the cleanest pic of the kit I have ever seen. Way better than the photo bucket crap they had up for install instructions, LOL.

It has never been on the road and driven. Many owners painted the core black too (some did the piping as well). When you see one with a few thousand miles on it, its not nearly as nice.

Like I said before too, with the bumper skin on all you see is the skin. Its under the hood that counts when I pop it and show the judges.

I am not buying a FMIC on looks either. I examined all my options. Just chose to take WBR off the list.

Can we get some more photos of the WBR kit with the bumper mounted. Also if any 08+ owners with it chime in please too. I'm looking around at front mounts for down the road. I don't mind of the piping on the kit is junk, as i might end up doing custom pipping anyway.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I'll try to take some pics this weekend. I've driven the car probably 4k miles in the year since those pics were taken. I'm up to a whopping 21k miles after 6 years.

The stock fogs fit with minimal cutting of the bumper cover's openings, where you can't see anything has been removed. I believe the pipe routing for both the WBR and the RacerX is because they both came from WRX kits and this was the easiest way to get those kits to fit a LGT.

I admit I've never cared about the car show scene. If I did, I would have had an absolute coronary when I placed the bumper skin aside while marking the cut points only to discover I had put it on top of tools, scratching the hell out of it when I thought I was protecting it. That I backed it into a concrete planter 30 seconds after picking it up from the engine rebuild was just icing on the cake! I have cheap Enkei 17s, stock suspension and brakes, and actually have stick-on woodgrain interior trim (which I admit I plan to remove soon). I doubt my car's appearance awes anyone, but I'm sure its disappearance gets their attention every time!

Sleepers are always good too. Many people prefer function over everything. I understand.

The RacerX was designed around a LGT. MINE. I was the car used for R&D, LOL. Not a WRX. It happens to fit a WRX. The XO2 was a WRX kit made to fit a LGT.

Archived